Diving Tips From Experienced SB Divers to nOObies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it looks like all the good ones have been taken. I was going to say never let yourself think you are experienced; cultivate beginners mind. But then I realized I wouldn't be able to post.

So, my tip to the newbie is if you are a true hoover, that is, not just new but big lunged (kind of like big boned, heh, heh) get yourself a big tank right away. Yes, you will improve some during the first year of diving but your goal is to remove the anxiety of being the first one up. When it is no longer a worry you relax and improve your air consumption.

You want to to have others not avoid diving with you. Almost everyone is willing to be a mentor as long as you don't impinge on their dive. So, get the big tank. You can always sell it to the next newbie. And if you are a true hoover you just might like it so much you keep it.
:snorkel:

Always wear clean underwear

Nice pic! Now back on track..........
Even if you just want to dive tropical consider diving local and in various environments. I did a Discover Scuba in St. Maarten and that's what got me hooked on scuba. Nice, easy, relaxed 20-30 minute 30 fsw dive (only 3 of us to one DM, got lucky). When I think about it now I'm still amazed how the guy was able to get us properly weighted and actually lead us on that dive without major issues. I then took my OW and AOW training up here in the Northeast in a cold, dark quarry. Boy was I in for a surprise. Heavy 7mm with 7mm hood and 5mm gloves, 50 degree temps, Vis from 2-15 feet. Lots of stress and task loading getting through those cert. dives. But I'm glad now I did OW there. I now have a skillset/mindset that I don't think I could have gotten if I just continued to dive warm, clear waters. So now I still prefer the killer tropical locales but in between expensive trips I dive in the Northeast to keep skills up and actually find myself starting to enjoy cold water diving more and more as my skills get sharper. And I'm better prepared for when the world turns brown.

liberato:
So, my tip to the newbie is if you are a true hoover, that is, not just new but big lunged (kind of like big boned, heh, heh) get yourself a big tank right away.

What size tank would you recommend? 99% of the tanks I see around this area are AL-80's

I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but keep your gear streamlined. Dangling equipment leads to damaged equipment and damage to the environment. Plus, you'll use less air because you're not fighting drag while moving through the water.

Don't hold your breath and don't ascend faster than your bubbles. :)

Okay, seriously...

My bit of advice is to never drink or eat anything that produces mucus in your throat before diving. The main culprit here is milk or any dairy product. If you do, forget about equalizing your ears; your dive will be over before it's barely begun. Pain.

cheers

Billy S.

Take all the time you need to suit up. You may get ribbed for being slow. But make sure you are ready.

It has already been said, but never worry about aborting a dive if it doesn't feel right no matter if it is 10 feet down or 100.

rottielover:
What size tank would you recommend? 99% of the tanks I see around this area are AL-80's

Your profile says you haven't been certified yet. Rent the AL-80 if that's what the shop / instructor is recommending. That's most likely what the other students will have. No one expects a new diver, especially during checkouts, to have fantastic air consumption. Later with a bit of experience you may decide a larger or steel tank would work better for you. No need to rush that decision.

Paula

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom