Diving to cure DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once had a newbie in our group come back to a Cozumel boat saying he felt bad. I don't remember the details, but he thot he had DCS; I thot he was hung over, but then those two can go together so we asked for O2. It was empty!

That's not the first time I've heard that. I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot of O2 kits with empty cylinders.

Terry

Here is a question; Let's say diver has mild DCS starts to feel it a couple hours after dive and blows if of for 4 or 5 day will chamber help or is it something that will take care of it self 10 to 14 day out. again mild DCS and sorry for the jacked thread.

Some stuff gets better by itself and some stuff doesn't, and some stuff is easy to fix if you treat it immediately and is untreatable if you wait too long.

If this is anything but idle curiosity, I recommend that you call DAN and discuss your specific symptoms.

Terry

Just curios, I have read that a lot of times new divers (such as myself) may confuse or look at symptom as just normal aches and pains and delay a trip to the chamber.

Just curios, I have read that a lot of times new divers (such as myself) may confuse or look at symptom as just normal aches and pains and delay a trip to the chamber.

If you're ever concerned, just give them a call. They're really nice people and won't send you to a chamber unless they think you need one.

Terry

The ideal time for hyperbaric treatment to be effective is within the first few hours after a dive. After that the effectiveness of the treatment will gradually reduce.

After the first 48 hours there really aren't any bubbles left to treat- just the tissue damage that they left behind. There would possibly still be a slight benefit just from getting them on a higher partial pressure of O2- even if there is no bubble to treat it might get additional O2 to the damaged tissues providing a bit of releif.

Longer delays prior to the initial treatment can often lead to repeat treatments as well.

Bottom line- If you think you might be bent it's best to get in and get checked as soon as you can.

If you're ever concerned, just give them a call. They're really nice people and won't send you to a chamber unless they think you need one.

Terry
Yep
TC:
The ideal time for hyperbaric treatment to be effective is within the first few hours after a dive. After that the effectiveness of the treatment will gradually reduce.

After the first 48 hours there really aren't any bubbles left to treat- just the tissue damage that they left behind. There would possibly still be a slight benefit just from getting them on a higher partial pressure of O2- even if there is no bubble to treat it might get additional O2 to the damaged tissues providing a bit of releif.

Longer delays prior to the initial treatment can often lead to repeat treatments as well.

Bottom line- If you think you might be bent it's best to get in and get checked as soon as you can.
Good post.

Of the times I have called...
1: For a buddy: Nothing to worry about, but thanks for calling.

2: For my DVT: Not dive related, but get to the ER ASAP.

3: For a lady who joined one night because her BF overseas was hurt, she couldn't get the phone numbers to work, never did find out why, so I got the lady's number and DAN called her.​
There was some confusion on whether the BF was a member or not. Doesn't matter at first; they will talk with you. Only if you need treatment does membership & coverage come up.

I've called other times during business hours with quetions.

Hello Readers:

Recompression “Therapy”

A century ago [e.g., Brooklyn Bridge], divers noted that reentering the caisson relieved – and sometime cured – their DCS. Repress was necessary as that was their job, and information was sparse in the 1800s.

In-water recompression has many problems, and these have been addressed by the many SCUBA BOARD responders before me. I do not feel it is a good idea – for reasons already given. There are difficulties in SCUBA site location. Some recreational divers like “untouched” sites; and currently these are almost always very remote. In addition, one needs a satellite phone

Repetitive Diving Can Mask DCS

In table testing, a sufficient surface interval between repetitive dives is allowed to permit DCS to develop. Quick repress for another dive would mask developing DCS. There is suspicion that SCUBA divers might also mask symptoms – though such a thing might be unbeknownst to them. [Thus, the true frequency of DCS in the field becomes more obscure. ]

Surface Oxygen Is VERY USEFUL Oxygen

Oxygen is very helpful for reducing the radii of gas bubbles in the venous system. I have personally seen this by examining the veins of rats and rabbits following decompression in the laboratory. This can be then applied to a Doppler ultrasound device, and this in turn can be used to check pigs, sheep, and human test subjects. Numerous venous bubbles can cause pulmonary problems [with large bubble radius and very numerous]

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom