Diving to cure DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which would give you the best chance.... surface O2 or dropping back down to depth whilst dying from DCS?

How long to stay down for, when you could be getting evacuated? You would have the correct treatment tables available? How deep would you re-descend to?

How would you treat with the appropriate medicines? Hydration?

How would you deal with the (likely) chance of becoming unresponsive at depth?

Really,..... trust the informed advice already given on this thread...... it is not possible to provide in-water recompression without huge medical and logistical pre-planning in advance.

You might die from DCS on the surface, but if your condition was that bad.....then going back in the water would only put a nail in your coffin.

DCS symptoms don't usually show up immediately. Anywhere from 15 minutes to 24hrs is typical but most commonly within the first hour. Also symptoms may appear mild at first then progress to severe as time passes. SO if you were to self treat mild DCS that turned out to be severe DCS you would be underwater when the severe symptoms occurred and your failed attempt at treatment would probably make the situation worse.
Yeah, Pyle got away with self treatment and wrote a very entertaining article about it but for divers to think they are able to self treat DCS is a very dangerous misconception.

The fact that the OP refers to IWR as doing "extra safety stops" leads me to think they have a lot to learn about recompression treatment and DCS.

If I was gonna DIE without IWR I would try it. As in theres no way I can get anywhere to get treated.
If not Id get my ass (or hope someone else got my ass) to a hospital as soon as bloody possible and then 5 minutes faster..

This thread is not about life or death, last ditch IWR treatment, the OP asked about treating mild DCS symptoms by re-entering the water and doing slow ascent and a safety stop and I am with many others on this, NO NO NO!

What you are talking about is something completely different but not an appropriate discussion for this forum.

Oxygen, oxygen and more oxygen with hydration and (controversially because of symptom masking) asprin as an anticoagulant.

<--------<< Works at hydration, before and after diving!

I once had a newbie in our group come back to a Cozumel boat saying he felt bad. I don't remember the details, but he thot he had DCS; I thot he was hung over, but then those two can go together so we asked for O2. It was empty! I had him drink a quart of kool-aid I had with me on the way to the dock and he felt much better in minutes, but I sent him to the chamber anyway. I was assistant group sponsor so once he made the call, he went - altho I stayed with the group. Arriving at the chamber in the ambulance with a DAN card, he was treated twice.

Last edited:
<--------<< Works at hydration, before and after diving!

I once had a newbie in our group come back to a Cozumel boat saying he felt bad. I don't remember the details, but he thot he had DCS; I thot he was hung over, but then those two can go together so we asked for O2. It was empty! I had him drink a quart of kool-aid I had with me on the way to the dock and he felt much better in minutes, but I sent him to the chamber anyway. I was assistant group sponsor so once he made the call, he went - altho I stayed with the group. Arriving at the chamber in the ambulance with a DAN card, he was treated twice - need it or not.

I'll have to take exception to this statement, if he didn't need the treatment then it would be medical malpractice to treat him.

Or am I missing the point and you're alleging malpractice at that facility?

This thread is not about life or death, last ditch IWR treatment, the OP asked about treating mild DCS symptoms by re-entering the water and doing slow ascent and a safety stop and I am with many others on this, NO NO NO!

What you are talking about is something completely different but not an appropriate discussion for this forum.
If you pay attention to the 2nd part of the statement as much as the first part, something might dawn on you..
For example the fact that if Im not facing certain death I would get medical help rather than go back into the water..

TC:
I'll have to take exception to this statement, if he didn't need the treatment then it would be medical malpractice to treat him.

Or am I missing the point and you're alleging malpractice at that facility?
I shouldn't have added that I guess. Sorry. Not my place to dispute the doctor's call at all. I'll withdraw it in edit if you don't mind.

Here is a question; Let's say diver has mild DCS starts to feel it a couple hours after dive and blows if of for 4 or 5 day will chamber help or is it something that will take care of it self 10 to 14 day out. again mild DCS and sorry for the jacked thread.

Here is a question; Let's say diver has mild DCS starts to feel it a couple hours after dive and blows if of for 4 or 5 day will chamber help or is it something that will take care of it self 10 to 14 day out. again mild DCS and sorry for the jacked thread.
Call DAN, even if not a member or not insured there. Nice folks to talk with case to case, as I have a few times. Numbers below...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom