Diving with a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2.) Solo Dives: I'm probably in the minority of solo divers, but I think you need to take an even harder look at why you feel you really need a pony for a dive you are planning to do solo. The way I look at a pony is as extra time to solve a problem underwater. What are the potential problems that can occur on the dive you've planned that having an extra ____ minutes of time would make a difference? How deep are you planning to dive, will you be going into deco, are there any overheads (real like a cave or wreck, or virtual like boat traffic), are freeflows a potential problem? Would you still do the dive if you left the pony at home? For me, if the answer is a resounding no, then that is a dive I will not do solo.

I agree with you the only reason you should sling a pony is if you need it. i.e. decompression diving. I was going in that direction of always taking a slunk pony with me on solo dives, but have corrected this behavior. doubles have enough redundancy for me.

I actually used my 40cf sling/pony bottle this past weekend. I was on a rebreather demo 2nd dive and had comfort issues with the rebreather in the 40 minute range. I could have surfaced on it still or switched to open circuit but being able to use that cylinder and surface under control and not panic even from 30 feet was comforting.

I know I will always be carrying one with me as it is better to carry one, then be carried by 6.

After diving with my slung 19, and seeing how easy it is, I believe it is something all divers should consider, solo or not.

I always sling a minimum of 14cf on all recreational dives and carry a lift bag. When re-breather diving I will sling a 40cf. Deco diving is typically dive double HP 120 steels with slung 80cf 50% and 40cf 100% and double bladder BC and drysuit and two lift bags.
I am not good enough yet to tell when something will turn to #%#$.

Double everything and cut the risk in half.

I see a pony as being a beneficial device for emergency ascents from deep dives - when you have a buddy.

For solo diving, I think the true flexibility and accessable redundancy offered by a manifolded, isolated, twinset is the only way.

I agree with you the only reason you should sling a pony is if you need it. i.e. decompression diving. I was going in that direction of always taking a slunk pony with me on solo dives, but have corrected this behavior. doubles have enough redundancy for me.

Are you saying you were considering a slung pony while using doubles? If so, I agree that redundant redundancy is not required.

I see a pony as being a beneficial device for emergency ascents from deep dives - when you have a buddy.

For solo diving, I think the true flexibility and accessable redundancy offered by a manifolded, isolated, twinset is the only way.

What's the difference between a manifold that is isolated and independant twins (in whatever configuration). I know one school of thought is access to all gas but with proper gas planning that should not be an issue and once you open the manifold you introduce another failure point (forgetting/unable to close it and losing redundancy. My other "concern" with manifolded doubles used for redundancy is the potential (usually on a second dive) to breath them down so low that (in the case of a failure) one cannot isolate fast enough so that there is enough meaningful gas to serve as a redundant source.

I'm not really opposed to the use of manifolded doubles for non technical soloing btw but I do see some potential failure points and don't really believe they are any "safer" than independant twins or a pony set up when used properly. All failures regardless, are due to operator, not system error.

Safety is never redundant...
Years ago I had an incident where I came across another solo diver (That I did not know) low on air and basically saved HIS butt because I was carrying a redundant system. Strangely enough we dive together now because I took some precautions then.

I always sling a 40cf bottle, whether I'm solo or buddy diving. It's sometimes a pain in the ass on the boat or especially long walks to the water whilst shore diving, but underwater I don't even notice it, and the extra layer of redundancy is a bit comforting.

I also don't ever plan on running out of air, but you never know whats going to happen.

I do the same thing, the one time you say you won't need it you will

I solo dive my local site more than buddy dive. The reason to have the pony, is to account for the RARE possibility of catastrophic failure of your primary system. I train with my system and know I can surface from 100 feet with my safety stop exclusively using my pony. I think if you plan to go solo you need a back up system.

PD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom