Diving with Pony Bottle on or off?

Pony valve on or off? (opened or closed)

• ON

Votes: 74 74.0%
  • OFF

Votes: 26 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's only for those who dive with ponies.

Really, with some rare exceptions, the only time I use an auxiliary bottle is when I am solo diving on a single tank rig. Otherwise my alternate air source is on my buddies back (or side or wherever the currently fashionable tank location is). Or I am on IDs or an isolation manifolded rig.

Long ago, before I added an spg to the aux system I would leave the valve off after burping the regulator and pressurizing it. I would check the cylinder pressure with a spg tank gauge. I never liked that and soon added a mini spg to the first stage. So now it goes on and stays on for the dive.

N

On to charge the regulator and then off for the remainder of the dive.

I have a friend who nearly drowned because of an inline shutoff valve.

Oh look, unelaborated second-hand anecdote! So useful. Care to provide circumstances and brand?

Out of curiosity how many breaths can u get befor having run through the volume of air stored between your first and 2nd stage?

You can try it yourself - put your regs on the tank turn the tank on and then off - breath from your reg. That will tell exactly how many breaths you can take.

You can try it yourself - put your regs on the tank turn the tank on and then off - breath from your reg. That will tell exactly how many breaths you can take.
For that depth, or on the surface. Different deeper. Just don't expect any was those charges leak off at times.

pony on, stage/deco, charged and off....

Pony is there for any time, any place. 100% 02 is not a viable tank at depth, same for travel gas/stages....

I am investigating in-lines though...

Charged, off and slung. This is my pooh-hit-the-fan gas. Slung it's easy to check its still charged and easy to turn on if I need it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom