Diving with women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Butbutbut....

We are not always menstruating, contrary to popular belief. For me, it's exactly two days out of the month.
If I do happen to get my period while on a dive trip, I wear a tampon, as do all the other women I have spoken to about this. (I have to admit, however, that I have not wasted too many brain cells on the subject). I can certainly imagine that will keep things from escaping. And for the record, I have encountered a lotta sharks, none of which appeared to want to make an hors d'oevure out of me, even when I had my period.

Forgive my momentary humorlessness about the subject, but this whole thing just seems so ridiculous to me. Why not worry about something else that really matters, like whether your buddy knows what he/she is doing?

I was on holidays recently with my boyf and a group his friends all female aswell and I tell you they give girls a bad name!!

I am a new diver had only 12 dives before the holiday and was my first hard boat experience. The skipper knowing I was new made the decision to allow us in last thinking I would take time to kit up, how wrong was he!! I would be fully kitted from undersuit to mask in ten minutes or less. The other three girls took the best part of an hour to get kitted!!! It was horrible, they didn't help each other so one who was quick used to kit up, sit on the boat and moan about how seasick she was getting in her kit. Missing fins, weight belts left off, drysuits not closed, you name it it happened. Then in the water was another story the famous quote of the week, 'we don't like wreck dives there's nothing to see' As a girl I love diving with males because they are not afraid to poke around in holes shine torches under things into things. If I had done that with these girls I suspect I would very quickly have found myself all alone in the water.

So maybe there is a case for mixed buddy pairs, girls have the advantage of taking their time and being more conscious of their buddy in the water while blokes have the extra confidence to really explore a dive site!

Interesting to find out some of the taboos of discusion on the womens only section, the thread was dealing with a very pertinent and lively topic, 'are there special issues with women divers,' and of course there are. cheers:)

The guard brings the brunette forward and the executioner asks
if she has any last requests. She says no and the executioner
shouts, "Ready!...Aim!! ..."
Suddenly the brunette yells, "EARTHQUAKE!!!" Everyone is startled and looks around. She escapes.
The guard brings the redhead forward and the executioner asks
if she has any last requests. She say no and the executioner shouts,"Ready! ... Aim!!..."
Suddenly the redhead yells, "TORNADO!!!" Everyone is startled and looks around. She escapes.
By now the blonde has it all figured out. The guard brings her forward and the executioner asks if she has any last requests. She says no and the executioner shouts, Ready! ... Aim!! ..."
...and the blonde yells, "FIRE!!!"

=-)

By now the blonde has it all figured out. The guard brings her forward and the executioner asks if she has any last requests. She says no and the executioner shouts, Ready! ... Aim!! ...
FIRE"

As I don't want to be led to the altar of sacrafice along with you for making that statement I won't ever say that I thought that's a funny joke worth repeating.

My Fiance' is my primary buddy and I wouldn't have it any other way! As a male/female team we have come to recognize that there are some differences between us when it comes to diving. Whether or not it's because we are different sexes is irrelevant. The trick is to use these differences to build a better buddy team.

A few examples might include:

Jen uses so little air I call her "The Guppy" :) In order to not be the dive spoiler, I've worked much harder on my air consumption than I probably would have with a male buddy. As a result I use much less air than normal for my size/skill level.

I'm a stronger swimmer than she is. There are dives that she would not have the confidence to do without knowing I'm right there to help her in a strong current. The other side of this is she keeps us more conservative and safe by being the "voice of reason" when we find conditions to be less than wonderful when we arrive at a dive site.

I could add more, but you get the idea. It's also great fun watching her out dive some of the condescending macho men on the dive boats. We had a guy on a night boat dive who kept asking if the "little lady" was going to be all right to "night Dive" (Thanks jerk, would you have asked if she was a man). The seas got rough on the way out, and when we got to the wreck Mr. Cousteau was hurling so hard over the side that he couldn't make the dive :rolleyes:

Zen- you seem to have gone into this topic with some pre-concieved ideas about women divers (my apologies if I read your posts incorrectly) If you do, lose them. You'll miss out on some great dive partners.

Scott

Scotty, :kissy:

I can't really put it into words why I have managed to get my knickers in such a knot over this subject. Maybe it's the generalizations that are being made.
Take this and reverse it--if a woman posted about having male dive partners and any special considerations, it wouldn't really make all that much sense, would it it? :D

Phish-phood
If you plan the dive and then discuss what you are going to do, then you won’t have a problem and you won’t be alone underwater.
I mentioned that I dive mostly with students. There are males and females, and I have no problem what so ever.
I agree that female diver “students” take longer to suit up, but I am used to it and am not bothered at all.
By the way, my open water instructor was a female, and my AOW instructor was a female too.

This whole thing really is rediculous. Grow up.

If you are THAT concerned about a little blood in the water, I suggest you STOP DIVING ALTOGHER. You seem to just not be suited for it. Just because YOUR female dive buddy may not be on her period, doen't mean SOMEONE in the water that day might not be. And, oh what about that little cut I have...what if it starts to bleed.

If I follow you, you would not DREAM of getting in the water if every inch of your skin were not completely intact, right?

Again, grow up or stop diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom