DIY quick release weight system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
With recent changes in my configuration, I've noticed that I've been needing more weight. Unfortunately, they wouldn't fit in the small trim weight pouched I had on my harness (I don't use a regular weight belt with my BP/W), so I tried different approaches. I tried bigger pouches, but usually their attachment points to the harness left them a bit loose and prone to shifting around underwater with positional changes. On other pouches, it was difficult to get the weight out, so it would be hard to handle in a high-pressure situation.

I came up with this system involving several extra SS slides, some webbing and extra plastic buckles I had lying around:

IMG_4615.jpg

Yes. That is a D ring on my right hip. (I clip my camera there...) But otherwise I currently use two slides per point, because I thread the short webbing through them like this:

IMG_4616.jpg

Then I threaded the strap with the buckle under the 1st strap:

IMG_4617.jpg

Finally, I thread the weights onto the short strap. The purpose of this strap is to keep the weights in place. In this photo, I've only attached one weight to the strap:

IMG_4619.jpg

Finally, I just close up the buckles:

IMG_4620.jpg

Its not THAT quick a release system, so it would be hard for the weights to fall out accidentally, but it's easier to do than trying to fish out weights from a small pouch.
1. open buckle
2. undo strap
3. pull out weights

things I like about it:
1. it doesn't shift around
2. no sewing was required (easy to build)
3. cheap (webbing? slides? plastic buckle? - and a lot cheaper than purpose built quick release weight pouches (which you'd drop when SHTF)

I was thinking initially of using fastex buckles, or velcro. Option still exists. I also tried putting a small handle on the top (zip tie with surgical tubing over it) to facilitate undoing the strap.

Comments and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

This looks interesting... not sure I would do it like this though, but I have no better idea right now :p I have the same experience, my extra weights are shifting slightly with my current setup so I was interested to see how you did it :) If I find any solution I will come back and tell you. You definitely have a solution that works.

thanks

looks like a neat idea.
but aren't you afraid that something accidentially catches the buckle and pulls it open, w/o you noticing? Then there is nothing to hold the weight back, or did I misunderstand it?

Btw, I just use XS Scuba weight pockets at the same location, and secure the velcro flap with a short loop of bungee cord.
Has the advantage that it has lower profile, and in my opinion very unlikely to loos a weight.

Btw, I don't have an issue dumping a weight, but if I did, I would just thread a short end of webbing through it as a handle

Hi DSF,

Thought about that one, but after releasing the catch, since the webbing is rather stiff, you still need to unthread it a bit. Second, the weights are threaded onto a smaller bit of webbing. Again, due to the relative stiffness of the material, it can actually support the weights, even without the buckle in place.
This actually works for me, because I don't want the weight release to be too quick. As an alternative, if someone wanted a one-step thing, I guess fastex buckles with part of it filed off could be an option. I've noticed that's how some DIY-ers do their buckles - one solid tug and it breaks free. Velcro would be even quicker and cheaper (but will require sewing, and I hate sewing webbing!)
I used to use weight pouches too, but they were rather small, so larger weights needed to be coaxed out before they would come free. plus the attachment point left the weights a bit wobbly.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom