DIY Save-a-Dive O-ring kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenrikBP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to come up with a list of o-rings for my save-a-dive kit. I've been reading up and reviewing other lists here on SB and elsewhere. So thank you for everyone's effort :)

Please take a look at the list so far and let me know if you see any glaring omissions or know of any more uses for the o-rings already listed. My criteria for these o-rings is that it would be something you'd take a shot at fixing/replacing on a rocking boat with just basic tools (which might put the tank neck o-ring out of contention).

Thanks

Henrik

AS# | Application
003|HP spool
006|BCD power inflator valve spool
010|LP port plug – Scubapro, 2nd stage hose swivel, DIN filter retainer – Apeks & Scubapro, Yoke Filter retainer - Scubapro
011|LP port plug – Apeks, HP port plugs - Scubapro, LP regulator hose – male end, Quick disconnect nipple – BCD inflator
012|HP port plugs – Apeks, HP/SPG hose – male end, BCD inflator cartridge valve body
014|standard tank yoke/regulator face
110|BCD inflator oral inflate hex
111|DIN connector - Apeks
112|DIN connector – Scubapro, Yoke valve face (Thermo valve yoke insert), BCD inflator cartridge valve body
214|¾” tank valve

Your list doesn't include 013's (1/2" LP plugs) or 015's (bonnet nuts, some old yoke valve face rings). Around here lots of us use 114's for breakaway attachments so I bring some of them. The 214's won't do you much good but if you've got the room it doesn't hurt to have them. I'm fussy for Viton or EPDM and remember that A70 o-rings are only good for low pressure fittings, everything else should be A90 - though it can be difficult installing A90 003's in the field so I usually carry A70's in my SAD kit.

Stick the whole lot of them in a small plastic vial with a tiny blob of Christolube for lubrication and you're ready to go. You'll also need a scubatool (or something similar) and an adjustable wrench.

It's been my experience that SAD kits get used to rescue someone else more often that they do me, so you're well on your way to becoming a hero for a day... :D

Thanks Reef,

I already carry a fairly extensive tool kit, but stopped shy of a wrench big enough to remove a tank valve :)

I'd seen the 013 and 015 in other lists:

Oxygen Compatible O-Rings, Lubricant and Tools - Dive Gear Express

http://www.reefscuba.com/O_Rings.htm

...but left them out since they seemed to be for gear older than I use - selfish of me, I know :) I may add them again.

I got a really nice Viton o-ring kit from Piranha. The 140 piece Viton kit:

http://www.reefscuba.com/O_Rings.htm

It really covers the basic o-rings pretty well. But I wanted a smaller batch to carry around. I've decided on Viton for all rings. A bit more expensive, but in the long run not enough to add to the size/material/durometer confusion :)

Thanks for the 003 durometer tip. Well worth keeping in mind and preparing for.

Henrik

I made the noob mistake by getting duro 70 for my 014 & 112 and only after reading more that for the 014 Yoke/tank O-ring might extrude (what a strange word)... and that duro 90 is better for the static applications....

good reading thanks for the post

I made the noob mistake by getting duro 70 for my 014 & 112 and only after reading more that for the 014 Yoke/tank O-ring might extrude (what a strange word)... and that duro 90 is better for the static applications....

good reading thanks for the post

Hi NJ,

Thanks for the durometer confirmation. And thank you for your research into the SP poppet wing o-rings :) your finds are on my "big" o-ring list that includes what I've been given and found wrt. SP (thanks AWAP) and Apeks regs. (was that you Couv?).

Henrik

Revised list:

AS# | Application
003|HP spool
006|BCD power inflator valve spool
010|LP port plug – Scubapro, 2nd stage hose swivel, DIN filter retainer – Apeks & Scubapro, Yoke Filter retainer - Scubapro
011|LP port plug – Apeks, HP port plugs - Scubapro, LP regulator hose – male end, Quick disconnect nipple – BCD inflator
012|HP port plugs – Apeks, HP/SPG hose – male end, BCD inflator cartridge valve body
013|1/2" LP plugs
014|standard tank yoke/regulator face o-ring
015|bonnet nut, old yoke valve face
110|BCD inflator oral inflate hex
111|DIN connector - Apeks
112|DIN connector – Scubapro, Yoke valve face (Thermo valve yoke insert), BCD inflator cartridge valve body
214|¾” tank valve

Henrik

My steel tank which is new takes the 013. This tank is only 2yrs old.

Add O-ring (and batteries) for your computer. The 003 is not too hard to install on a spool. Lube it well and place it on something a bit soft and then stab it with the spool. I usually set it on my finger. The duro 90s can be a little painful but it works. I put 014s where ever I can attach a couple on all my 1st and 2nd stages. That way I always have one handy. I also carry a good double hook pick to remove old o-rings. Some can be pretty tough with just the monster pick on the scuba tool. Even with a good pick, changing the 006 in the LPI hose is about as tough as they come. If you really have to have a working power inflator, I'd carry an entire replacement hose.

My steel tank which is new takes the 013. This tank is only 2yrs old.

DT; thanks. What brand and type valve is it? I'll add notes to the table.

Add O-ring (and batteries) for your computer. The 003 is not too hard to install on a spool. Lube it well and place it on something a bit soft and then stab it with the spool. I usually set it on my finger. The duro 90s can be a little painful but it works. I put 014s where ever I can attach a couple on all my 1st and 2nd stages. That way I always have one handy. I also carry a good double hook pick to remove old o-rings. Some can be pretty tough with just the monster pick on the scuba tool. Even with a good pick, changing the 006 in the LPI hose is about as tough as they come. If you really have to have a working power inflator, I'd carry an entire replacement hose.

Thanks awap. I guess sticking with duro 90 Viton for everything would work - and simplify things.

I've ruined a couple of nice picks trying to get old o-rings out of yoke valves and a solid scuba tool pick or some heavy duty plastic pick is nice to have as well.

You're right about the inflator hose o-ring. It's less difficult (not easy by any stretch :)) if the schrader valve is removed first, so I carry a schrader tool as well.

Computer o-ring is a good idea as well.

Thanks guys,

Henrik

DT; thanks. What brand and type valve is it? I'll add notes to the table.

Thanks awap. I guess sticking with duro 90 Viton for everything would work - and simplify things.

I've ruined a couple of nice picks trying to get old o-rings out of yoke valves and a solid scuba tool pick or some heavy duty plastic pick is nice to have as well.

You're right about the inflator hose o-ring. It's less difficult (not easy by any stretch :)) if the schrader valve is removed first, so I carry a schrader tool as well.

Computer o-ring is a good idea as well.

Thanks guys,

Henrik

Blue Steel Scuba Tank Valve 3442
High pressure modular DIN valve for steel tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom