DM lost in translation!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reevo:
....and that adding a little extra weight to my weight belt was helpful to keep me on the bottom. I think with some more practice i should be able to get it together!

Hmm.....

You should *not* need to add extra weight. One of the great challenges (and great confidence builders) is to do this exercise neutrally bouyant or, at least, correctly weighted.

Needing to be overweight to do a "demonstration quality" skill means that you'd also have to have your students overweight to do the skill (they would not be better than you, right?) - and so, we've launched into a bad cycle leading to overweighting.....

I would respectfully suggest getting correctly weighted, and then work on doing the skill demonstration-quality. Yes, it takes some doing, but you'll be better for the effort - and it is not so hard once you get the nag of it.

And for MikeF: yes, it can be done hovering, although I have not quite gotten around to doing it while maintaining perfect trim too - am working on it, though..... :wink:

"You should *not* need to add extra weight. One of the great challenges (and great confidence builders) is to do this exercise neutrally bouyant or, at least, correctly weighted.

Needing to be overweight to do a "demonstration quality" skill means that you'd also have to have your students overweight to do the skill (they would not be better than you, right?) - and so, we've launched into a bad cycle leading to overweighting.....

I would respectfully suggest getting correctly weighted, and then work on doing the skill demonstration-quality. Yes, it takes some doing, but you'll be better for the effort - and it is not so hard once you get the nag of it.

And for MikeF: yes, it can be done hovering, although I have not quite gotten around to doing it while maintaining perfect trim too - am working on it, though..... "

Yeah, thats what I thought as well. :)

Ok, cool. Thanks for the advice. I think i will try it overweighted practicing by myself until i can get it running super smooth and then try it with normal weighting for when i have to show the instructor.

First of all Okinawa is a wonderful place to dive. I was in the Marines and stationed at Camp Schawb. On gear exchange... Don't rush,take all the time you need, keep your partner facing you at all times, and keep a bit of air in your BC. (it is easier to exchange that way -but be aware that YOU have to stay negatively buoyant). Do not let you partner hand his regulator to you upside down. (unless you are really thirsty) Lastly, don't sweat the test, it may not be a "pretty" exchange, but you'll do just fine.

First of all Okinawa is a wonderful place to dive. I was in the Marines and stationed at Camp Schawb. On gear exchange... Don't rush,take all the time you need, keep your partner facing you at all times, and keep a bit of air in your BC. (it is easier to exchange that way -but be aware that YOU have to stay negatively buoyant). Do not let you partner hand his regulator to you upside down. (unless you are really thirsty) Lastly, don't sweat the test, it may not be a "pretty" exchange, but you'll do just fine.

Totally off topic for a while, but I'm just really curious:

Are the hand signals used in Japan the same? :D

ok, guys...I've been considering DM training as well and you've just thrown out a lot of info!! Wow.

...should I stay or should I go...

Kevin

Cool thanks for the tips, does anyone know the scoring criteria for the equipment exchange?

Yes fortunately the hand signals are the same here in japan so no need to translate underwater:)

reevo -

I'm a little concerned that you are asking about scoring criteria here. It seems like your instructors aren't doing a very good job of briefing you or of taking you through the requirement. Language shouldn't be a barrier to good training - if you're missing out on these basic things, I can only shudder as I think of the other things you are missing.

Not that you shouldn't ask questions here, of course! But you absolutely should be getting these answers from your instructors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom