Do any of you use a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PK

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd be impressed if you did!

It's way too expensive for me to buy it but I'd love to try it. Even though I don't do highly technical dives, it would be nice to dive deeper longer. I also like the idea of no bubbles and lighter weight.

I wish rebreathers were priced competitively with regular scuba gear. I guess Costeau had better marketing for regulators!

If there isn't, there SHOULD be a place to train and rent rebreathers.

I dive a highly modified Inspiration Closed Circuit Rebreather

If you compare the price of a Dolphin or Azimuth Semi closed rebreather they are about the same price as a complete set of technical diving kit (Twins, wings, backplate, regs etc) So they are not that expensive, and they are cheaper to run

In another 5 years they will be cheaper still and most divers will be rebreathing

I dive a modified Dolphin Ray. Keep a watch on e-bay, rebreathers sell at greatly discounted prices. Almost all rebreather instructers give short courses for the rebreather they sell at reduced prices. So you can try it before you buy it.

PK, I'm not sure rebreathers ARE for the average punter. You really do have to be a lot more disciplined and serious about your diving, following through necessary pre-dive checks etc.

Dräger - and it's distributors worldwide - don't seem to keen to promote these relatively safe products overly much. They've also gone to extremes to keep the Ray and the Dolphin "non-technical", which certainly has hit Ray sales. I guess they reckon that the "right sort of divers" will find their products anyhow.

In a similar vein, Mares dropped the Azimuth and Buddy spawned APD so as to maintain some "watertight doors" with their other (=major) business ... not because any of these products are inherently dangerous, but because some divers are ... and these guys WILL find a way to kill themselves.

Even Cousteau almost killed himself diving early RB:s ...

Hence, I don't believe rebreathers will threaten open-circuit diving for the next couple of years. But the sector will grow - safely - and most "serious" divers will be RB divers in ten years' time.

Hey fins wake-

Yes, rebreathers are not meant for the average diver right now. I'm just curious about them. They need to be a lot more safe for me to adopt using them but supposedly that's where the industry is heading. They can be safe enough for the average diver but that will be in the future, not now.

Trish, if you check around the area where you live or dive you might well find a dive shop that sells rebreathers, and like offers some kind of RB intro. These are usually an intro lecture, followed by a dive in contained, shallow water, a pool, quarry or so. Around here you can do it for around $90 ... well worth it if you really want to experience the feeling. :D

As for training and/or rental, that depends on the units. Drägers, usually Dolphins, are pretty easy to find. Next is probably the Inspiration, there are places and resorts were both is available. The Prism CCR can be rented from Steammachines, as are the SM1600 (their customized version of the military's Carlton/Biomarine units). They're not exactly cheap to rent or buy, but from what I understand Steammachines will ship the rental unit if necessary). :rolleyes: More info on that on their website at http://www.steammachines.com/

The expense of RB diving is relative, for some people they pay themselves sooner or later. Anybody who does a lot of extended range diving will spend consireably less on relatively expensive gases (trimix/heliox).
Other divers, using them to film or photograph, just see them as the next step in an expensive array of cameras, lights and housings.

And those who dive them for the sheer enjoyment of doing so will probably quote William Randolph Hearst: "Pleasure is worth what you can afford to pay for." (and build Hearst Castle in San Simeon, so much more expensive than a rebreather ... :wink: )

Stefan

Dräger builds a large variety of RBs, but only sells the Dolphin and Ray to the public. Both of those were designed for 'recreational' diving, the 130' MOD, no-deco dives that most people do. For that they work quite well, though the advantages over OC are limited. Unfortunately, the 80m version never materialized, although Dräger engineers have given help (and parts) to a few diving expeditions. I'm not sure if that is due to liability or profitability, probably both. Also consider that diving is just a small part of what the company does, and 'civilian' diving even more so.

Maybe with Aqualung distribution that will change. Here in the US, their promotional efforts don't go past ads. What I gathered from the Dive-Oz board, they don't do much in Australia either. But in the German-speaking section of Europe they teamed up with NRC (Nitrox and Rebreather College) and "tauchen" Magazine to promote - creating a travelling RB-circus that offers the kind of intro I mentioned before. Highly successfull. NRC is just a couple of years old, and teaches only Nitrox and Dräger RBs, only recreational. Last year the sold half of Dräger's annual Dolphin production. Aside from those three countries, the've spread to other European countries, as well as the Red Sea and Maledives. :D

Appearantly the 'non-technical' approach works if you persue it ...

Stefan

Dear Trish,

Rebreathers are not all expensive, although most commercial ones are. There are some outstanding rebreathers available from Russia. They are far more robust that sport rebreathers. They are made for combat and the Russian govt paid the bulk of the cost. Where a sporting rebreather may have a plastic mouthpiece (DSV) the Russians used chromed machined brass. Their cylinders are heavy duty and scrubbers are large. They sell for a fifth the cost of sport rebreathers. They are brand new, come with tools and spare pars.

However, they all require training and you should invest in a Nitrox class and then a semi closed circuit class first. You will have to learn somehow, and the courses are usually good. You will find that people who teach the classes will be able to direct you to a rental source. A number of tourist destinations rent rebreathers too. Take the courses first and make an educated decision.

The Russian units can be found with breakdowns on Diver Daves Rebreather Site. (Look at the AKA-60.) There are many sold on ebay.com (search:" rebreather") The Russian units will be unfamiliar to the average sport diver and instructor, so don't even ask them. They work much the same.

Don't rush into anything. Rebreathers are often bulky and a pain to transport. You may have to learn to mix your own gases. Get a copy of the NOAA Diving manual first, and the read whatever you can. Even good books will have the writer's view and sometimes it is narrow.

I have seven rebreathers, ranging from a 1959 Cressi oxygen only, to a SCR Azimuth. I do no dive mixed closed circuit. Some of my units are military: Russian, German and British. I bought my first rebreather in 1961.

Don't be detered, just take your time and do it right. You may find that it's not for you, but you may also find a new direction in diving. I wish you well.

Steve

... has been very beneficial and one can only hope it spreads. Of course, NRC is mainly a German-speaking organization and the people who run the courses are thus mainly from Germany or Austria. Which is why one can do these courses in the Red Sea and the Maldives but not necessarily in the Caribbean. ;-0

A great shame, because the material and courses are good. (Yup, been there, done that. German instructor, of course ... :wink: Incidentally, he was a technical guy, running his Dolphin KISS-style ... :wink: )

Anyway, we need more German/Austrian instructors in other parts of the world, or Dräger needs to do similar deals with PADI/NAUI/SSI/SDI .... :mean:

K.

I will most likely be taking the PADI Drager Dolphin rebreather class is my future. I'd take it right now, but I don't want to dive with it up here because to me its pointless.

For my purposes, I think there are several benefits over OC and it is worth the little extra maintenance. After reviewing the Dolphin's pre/post dive maintenance procedures I do not think it is a big deal....most of the stuff can be done even before you leave to go diving and once at the dive site you have a couple things to check and then your in the water.

After being certified on one, I will buy one...there is another reason not to get certified right now..hehehe

Who knows, maybe there will be some more modifications to it or a newer version coming out by the time I am ready.

For now it's the wasteful OC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom