Do DMs log their dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For my log, my preference is only dives for longer than 15 mins and deeper than 4m. I record DSD’s out of interest, but generally if its a short dive, I combine the dive hours with the previous (or next) dive. My dive number count reflects substantive dives, not bounces.

Everyone is different

While fiddle-farting around in Cancun back in the early 90's, my brother and I decided from the get-go that we wanted to be working divers, so we logged dives dilligently from dive #1. I'm sure he stopped logging after hitting Divemaster and going to work, but I kept logging well into being an instructor. Then one day I needed a new logbook, and just said, 'screw that', and never logged again. That was sometime in the mid 90's, somewhere shy of 2000 dives, and I continued working in the W. Caribbean for several more years, and got cave certified, so I have no clue how many dives I might have (but somewhere in that 2500-4999 estimation, surely not any more).
As I recall, very few working divers that I knew, bothered with logging dives.

Last edited:
I'v seen guys log pool dives and some who have never seen active log since training.
These were DMs?

While fiddle-farting around in Cancun back in the early 90's, my brother and I decided from the get-go that we wanted to be working divers, so we logged dives dilligently from dive #1. I'm sure he stopped logging after hitting Divemaster and going to work, but I kept logging well into being an instructor. Then one day I needed a new logbook, and just said, 'screw that', and never logged again. That was sometime in the mid 90's, somewhere shy of 2000 dives, and I continued working in the W. Caribbean for several more years, and got cave certified, so I have no clue how many dives I might have (but somewhere in that 2500-4999 estimation, surely not any more).
As I recall, very few working divers that I knew, bothered with logging dives.
I don't have your experience re number of dives, but I know paper log pages costs money.

I don't have your experience re number of dives, but I know paper log pages costs money.
Paper log pages are actually fairly cheap if you do your own. I design my own log, and I just got a stack printed at Staples: 50 double-sided sheets of 8.5" x 5.5" glossy paper. I had to do my own three-hole punching, but they cost me all of $10.02.

Paper log pages are actually fairly cheap if you do your own. I design my own log, and I just got a stack printed at Staples: 50 double-sided sheets of 8.5" x 5.5" glossy paper. I had to do my own three-hole punching, but they cost me all of $10.02.
Yeah for sure. Just XEROX a bought page. '80s technology.
But I have a stash of originals I bought at the shop with the DM discount.

Yeah for sure. Just XEROX a bought page. '80s technology.

Yep, good idea, or even run with a plain old spiral-bound notebook. I used to use these vinyl covered logbooks, that cost about $7 (and held about 160 dives, 5 per page side,IIRC). I liked the way they were laid out, and not too big or small, but it seemed like i needed a new one every few weeks, and I didn't see any reason to keep logging dives at this point.
But i do wish I'd kept a log of all my sea time. A yacht captain I used to work for even recommended that, but I couldn't be bothered :dork2:.

I log all my dives, including in the pool (thought I don't count those in my "dive count"). By "logging it" I mean I download them from my dive computer into my electronic log. For dives with customers (i.e. students, so far, in my case), I put the students' names in my electronic log (on the dives where I was with them), just because it seems like a good idea to try and keep a record of who I worked with/for and when, and have it directly connected to my computer's logged dive profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom