Do I even need a dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Just a question. I've got a line cutter, if I get some shears, do I even need a dive knife? I don't see any need for any of the larger knife's, so figured that a line cutter and shears would be more than enough.

A knife is an important tool. I carry a small BC knife with a serated edge (for sawing a large line) and smooth edge. Also I prefer the blunt tip. It also comes in handy for cracking open clams.

It sounds like you have the cutting aspect covered, but you may still want to consider a BC knife. As rapidiver mentioned, a small blunt tip knife comes in handy for those occasions when you need to pry or dig. Pointed tips have a tendency to break off when pressure is applied. And don't spend a fortune on a knife. In my experience, it's only a matter of time before the ocean claims it, so I buy the cheapest knives I can, that are made by a reputible dealer. I also don't see the need for a huge knife. I often see divers at the local quary with 12" knives strapped to their legs. I have no idea what they're doing with those things, except impressing each other.

I carry a small blunt BC knife and OMS shears. I've never had to use either, but in the scenario I can most easily envision (entanglement in fishing line), I'd reach for the shears for sure. Those things will cut through just about anything. My brother tried them out on a bottle cap and it was like butter.

I really can't envision a scenario where I'd reach for the knife, but it's very small and I have it attached to my cummerbund, so it really isn't a hassle either way to carry it.

I would think, if you really *needed* to pry things (for your safety, not just to mess with stuff), you could use the shears. I haven't ever needed to pry anything, and I can't really figure out why I would need to.

Take a look at those OMS shears if you haven't gotten shears already. They are burly.

I have a small bc knife. In my over 200 dives, I've never needed to use it.

Well, I did let someone use it to cut their zip tie once.

I became entangled in kelp once, but I found it more effective to simply break the kelp.

http://www.scubapro.com/products/accs/k3_knife/k3_knife.asp

I heard this is the one you need, I must still get one. I have one of those GW Shark hunting knifes, but I never take it with me. I'll just use my buddies knife......not sure for what though, there is lot of underwater thieves in my area, I may need to start carrying it?

A cutting tool is all you really need. However, I once got entangled in some fishing line that I probably would have had a harder time getting out of if it weren't for my BC knife. Like has already been mentioned, small and blunt tip is the way to go.

I carry a blue tang on my inner left leg sometimes and my lttle gerber chameleon folder in a sheath on my inflator hose strap. Have used the blue many times for cutting buns after the dive and for cake it works good also. But underwater I reach for the gerber every time. removing fishing line from guide ropes, gentle digging in the bottom, and sometimes cleaning my nails. I'll be getting a pair of shears soon but they are not a priority. I may regret those words! Anyway I've seen lots of them from 9.95 & up. with me price of dive gear is usually not a concern (9k in 1yr so far) but what shears do most of you recommend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom