Do I even need a dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A BFK is a good idea. If you ever NEED a knife you can do anything except eye surgery with a large knife, small knives bring serious limitations along with them. If you exceed the limitations of your knife under water your wife gets to spend your life insurance.

FT

I only carry a small knife but I AM a fan of the BFK. There are times when it would come into it's own. I can see entanglements as only part of the need of a knife.

I have been searching for a divable sheath for a Gurkha.

alexxred:
Hi,

Just a question. I've got a line cutter, if I get some shears, do I even need a dive knife? I don't see any need for any of the larger knife's, so figured that a line cutter and shears would be more than enough.

Seriously, when you are on a SI, and someone hands you an apple, but there are like three DOODS, but only ONE apple, then like you have to cut it up and stuff! But without a knife, well then you have to arm wrestle and stuff to see who gets the apple cause you can't share spit with dudes.

And then when you are shore diving at a BBQ with friends, what else are you going to cut up the streak with!!

Plus shears are kinda girlie, so the knife balances it out, so that you are not too much of a girlie man :D

J75:
I often see divers at the local quary with 12" knives strapped to their legs. I have no idea what they're doing with those things, except impressing each other.

Sharks! To protect yourself from rabid sharks!!

Doc Harry:
Sharks! To protect yourself from rabid sharks!!
Don't forget the giant squid too.

J75:
I often see divers at the local quary with 12" knives strapped to their legs. I have no idea what they're doing with those things, except impressing each other.

Trim weights

Is it really a good idea to attach a knife to the inflator hose? I kind of worry about cutting the hose while putting the knife away. If everyone thinks that is ok, I'll move mine there as I don't like it on the strap where I've got it.

ItsBruce:
Is it really a good idea to attach a knife to the inflator hose? I kind of worry about cutting the hose while putting the knife away. If everyone thinks that is ok, I'll move mine there as I don't like it on the strap where I've got it.

I carry shears anda Z-knife line-cutter (a hook-shaped plastic thing with a razor blade inside the hook).

A number of people have mentioned that knives are useful to pry stuff with. Maybe I should carry a little pry-bar?

Terry

ItsBruce:

My knives are attached to my LP hoses on both my rigs. You just need to make sure you're careful when you resheath the knife, just as I'm sure you are when you resheath it on your leg or arm. To be honest with you, I'd rather cut my LP hose than myself. :wink:

If your knife is sharp enough to cut your inflator hose while you're resheathing it, either your knife is way too sharp, or you are being way too careless. Because the sheath is generally the length of the knife, the most you might do is accidentally put a groove in the sheath while you're putting the knife away. On the other hand, it might be like "A Christmas Story," "You'll shoot (stab) your eye out, kid!" :D

Back
Top Bottom