Do I even need a dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't pry anything, dig anything up, or crack anything open when i dive so a pair of shears would be all i would want. All i have right now is a small blunt knife that i've only ever used above water.

I tend to carry Three: One large stainless steel blunt tip on my rigth inner leg, one blunt tip stainless steel from UK on inflator hose BC, another small one in my BC pocket. I am always using them, to open clams, to cut heavy line, to even cut weights from line and even CRAWL along the bottom of the channels or inlets when there is a rough outgoing or incoming tide.

Life is meant to be accompanied by a knife. You should bring a knife with you everywhere you go. I avoid San Antonio, TX because they have a city ordinance against pocket knifes (lock blades). Diving is no different. And I don't mean a dull clam opener, I mean a razor sharp, shave the back of your arm, knife.

I always carry one underwater, never use it (it'll dull the edge if I use it). However, should I need it, it is there. This is allowed in a minimalist setup merely by mentally exagerating the potential benefit it will provide in the dive.

Just my 2 cents (where's my knife...).

JimLap:
... but what shears do most of you recommend?
Simple el-cheapo EMT shears. I get them for $1 at a local store, I think their "normal" price is like $5.99 at most places.

If you're diving salt, the rivet will get rusty -- toss 'em every handful of months, splurge (another $1).

They really cut well.

I put a simple plastic bolt snap on them (keychain type thing), though normally store them in a BC pocket (where I also keep a cyalume stick).

(Some things really aren't worth spending bucks on, just accept that they're disposable.)

Shears will probably cut you out of anything you or a buddy tangle into.

The next question is what to do if you find yourself solo and foulded and drop your tool, enter your line cutter. So there is a good case for 2 tools.

A basic knife is as handy as a tool, as mentioned as it is as a cutting implement. Next dive I need to find some abandned rope on the bottom so I can say I've cut something.:11: A blunt tip is often a good choice to avoid self injury. No need to spend a fortune. This has been maintenance free for us.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Item...escSort_0/Filter_2=147&3=145&1=380/UKTKF.html

I strap it on an inside calf mainly so the habit carries over to skin-diving.

Pete

Keep in mind, if you plan on doing any type of wreck or cave diving in the future a leg knife isn't advisable. It's an entanglement hazard and not easy, if at all possible, to reach in small cramped places. Whatever type of cutting tool you get, make sure you place it where you can reach it even in the most cramped spaces.

I carry the blue reef 5" 420 stainless steel dive knife which has a sharp edge, serrated edge, line cutter and point. The sheath is hard plastic but I do not like the rubber straps. I ditched the straps and tied it to my bc with bungee rope through some grommets, then I burned and duct taped the ends. There are many here who prefer blunt tip but I like having a point. There are many who prefer small knifes, but one advantage of a larger knife is they usually have a steel pommel at the bottom for pounding. Its like having a hammer. If you got trapped in a box underwater you could beat yourself out. Also, a point is good for stabbing pirates.

-V

I keep a small knife with the sheath wire-tied to my inflator hose. I bought one early on, because on one of my cert. dives I got tangled in some fishing line. The dive master was one of those that straps a machete to his leg, and I was glad, in this instance, that he had it. I bought my BC knife soon after.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom