Do I even need a dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
WOW, all schools as far as I know have a zero tolerence policy concerning any sort of weapon. You are lucky not to have gone to jail. There are mandatory sentences for that. I am pretty sure it is a felony. Same goes with carry on luggage. Be careful there--we live in a strange time where the forces of darkness have come out of the shadows and walk amongst us.

Changing subjects---

My knife is no stick'n tool, it is a weapon sir!!!
Thirteen plus inches of razorered steel is hardly a tool.

Seriously, a good six inch blade with a sturdy grip and line cutter with one edge serrated is all the average diver would need. I cannot imagine diving solo, as I do, without a capable knife or even if not solo in low viz it is easy to loose a buddy and if you get entangled with no one to help a good knife is essential. Scissors are good but how effective would they be at prying or sawing? True, a large knife is not needed in a quarry that has been cleared for diving but in the ocean or rivers and lakes you can run into many dangers. N

Believe me my realization made my heart sink. I'm glad I got out undetected. It was certainly an innocent mistake. My knife sheath is affixed to my BC jacket ... I never store the knife anywhere else. When i was putting everything on it just plain didn't occur to me. Then when I was reaching for my computer on the left side bottom D-ring my wrist brushed against the cold steel butt of the handle and I nearly crapped in my pants.

I still have an old SP monster that I bought maybe 20 yrs ago, never used it for much more than a prybar or a hammer on ocasion. I have used it as an anchor to restfully hang on in a strong current more than once. I dive in So Cal and we do get currents now and then. I also use an small pointed version of a straight razor attached to my inflater in case I need to cut something without effort. Been tangled in kelp many times and if it becomes an issue I crawl out of my bc and untangle it. Seems easy enough. As for the big knife, we get wet together.
Bill

Fish_Whisperer:
If your knife is sharp enough to cut your inflator hose while you're resheathing it, either your knife is way too sharp, or you are being way too careless. Because the sheath is generally the length of the knife, the most you might do is accidentally put a groove in the sheath while you're putting the knife away. On the other hand, it might be like "A Christmas Story," "You'll shoot (stab) your eye out, kid!" :D

A sharp knife is a safe knife.

I carry a z knife on the right shoulder, a remora clone on the waist and a Titanium pointed Ocean Master on the inner right calf, never dive without them.

Back in the late 70s, when I started skindiving I carried a 13" US Divers Machete and it prooved usefull many times to stone the speared fish and prying around, then I switched to a 6" wenoka that still hangs around in the hall of fame shelf.

BFK is a good idea if you have the leg long enough to carry it.

I used to carry a small akona coqui knife in the shoulder, but after loosing 3 of those decided that the retention was not good at all.

Get the biggest and sharpest knife that you can find (remember Tarzan fighting the crocs or seahunt wrestling the sharks)

I just bought a 6" Scubapro K6 HP Stainless Steel. I haven't taken it in the water yet. I tried it with my gloves on (in the store) and it seems that anything smaller wouldn't grip well due to having so-cal gloves. Is this propper reasoning? I'm still new to all of this.

i use an old wenoka that i bought new in 1990 . this has been used from prying cannon balls from limestone to cutting line to hammering on just about anything .. 99% of my diving is black water and could not even imagine diving with out my 5 lb knife:D .
Finder

If you don't carry a BFK, and some unidentified bad guy comes along and tries to cut your air hose, how are you going to fight him off? Shears aren't exactly going to strike fear in his heart...

ZzzKing:
If you don't carry a BFK, and some unidentified bad guy comes along and tries to cut your air hose, how are you going to fight him off? Shears aren't exactly going to strike fear in his heart...

It is a proven fact that unidentified bad guys only cut the exhaust hose of vintage gear that has the double hoses...:D

Solution: Use new single hose gear...:D

PaulChristenson:
It is a proven fact that unidentified bad guys only cut the exhaust hose of vintage gear that has the double hoses...:D

Solution: Use new single hose gear...:D

Do you work at my LDS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom