Do I even need a dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a 4" blunt tip on my BC and a line cutter on a lanyard. I have never had to use the knife but the line cutter I have use a lot on shore dives where there is a lot of monofiliment fishing line. I do think you should have a knife in case you encounter something that cannot be handled with a line cutter. For me I think the Knife and Line cutter are the perfect combo.

I carry Trauma shears inside of their sheath attached to my BC. (Use them at work, too--:nurse: we can cut your clothes off in 10 seconds or less!) It's true, they will rust at the rivets, but they will remain sharp. I've never had to use them, but I trust myself more with shears than a knife. Topside I keep my Boy Scout knife in my save-a-dive kit. I use that for the tools and to cut up food.

"A BFK is a good idea. If you ever NEED a knife you can do anything except eye surgery with a large knife, small knives bring serious limitations along with them. If you exceed the limitations of your knife under water your wife gets to spend your life insurance."

I like you.

Authur had Excalibur, not a pair of scissors and I got my ol' SeaHawk, wear it like a sword on my waist because it is to long to fit on my leg. Weighs a ton, cmee hea little sharkie, sharkie. It ain't to impress anyone, goes through steel cable, chopped the head off'n a gator who took a like'n to me, great for skinn'n a bass or even a bear if it was to come down to it. LOL. Hey ma, I am getting a chill, bring me that polar bear rug over this way and turn up the fire!!!!!!
N

alexxred:
Hi,

Just a question. I've got a line cutter, if I get some shears, do I even need a dive knife? I don't see any need for any of the larger knife's, so figured that a line cutter and shears would be more than enough.

sure why not. Just don't do what I did today and perform a show and tell for your beautiful daughter's 2nd grade classroom in a major metropolitan elementary school with your 8 inch titanium still mounted on your BC! Remember to leave it in the car.

DiverBuoy:
Just don't do what I did today and perform a show and tell for your beautiful daughter's 2nd grade classroom in a major metropolitan elementary school with your 8 inch titanium still mounted on your BC! Remember to leave it in the car.

Why? Does the school have a problem with tools?

WOW, all schools as far as I know have a zero tolerence policy concerning any sort of weapon. You are lucky not to have gone to jail. There are mandatory sentences for that. I am pretty sure it is a felony. Same goes with carry on luggage. Be careful there--we live in a strange time where the forces of darkness have come out of the shadows and walk amongst us.

Changing subjects---

My knife is no stick'n tool, it is a weapon sir!!!
Thirteen plus inches of razorered steel is hardly a tool.

Seriously, a good six inch blade with a sturdy grip and line cutter with one edge serrated is all the average diver would need. I cannot imagine diving solo, as I do, without a capable knife or even if not solo in low viz it is easy to loose a buddy and if you get entangled with no one to help a good knife is essential. Scissors are good but how effective would they be at prying or sawing? True, a large knife is not needed in a quarry that has been cleared for diving but in the ocean or rivers and lakes you can run into many dangers. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom