Do I need a Dive Master as a new OW certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's a good question and shows that you're paying attention to your abilities and are aware of limitations. There's nothing wrong in asking, IMO, despite what some responses seem to imply.

After I was certified, I was certainly comfortable with my equipment, the taught skills, and executing a dive. But experience only comes with....experience. No amount of rote skill memorization replaces the end-to-end experience of boat diving.

When I went on my first dive trip (also my first ocean dives), the operator offered a "rent a buddy" program. It basically meant I paid a little extra to ensure that a divemaster was my buddy. It wasn't hand holding. I did the equipment setup, the dive plan, we were both under the direction of the lead DM, and everything that you'd normally do. But diving with the DM meant that she gave me pointers, tips on buoyancy based on observing me diving, a little personal one-on-one in a real dive situation (vs. a training dive/skills exercise). I became a much better diver for it.

If you're asking the question, as I was, I'd explore the DM program that the operator offers. For me, the ROI of that investment was at least as good as that of the OW class.

Your profile says you are not certified yet--is that still true? If so, that can explain your questions.

If you are certified or planning to certify through PADI, your fourth open water certification dive should have been or will be one in which you plan the dive and do it without anyone leading you. The instructor on that dive is supposed to observe you and only intervene if there is a problem. You should therefore have some experience in diving without professional assistance.

You don't say where you are going to be in South Florida. In my experience, what happens in South Florida has changed a whole lot in the last few years, and it varies quite a bit from one location to another. It used to be that pretty much no operator put a DM in the water unless you paid extra, as you were told. These days a lot of them put DMs in the water routinely. I have gone to South Florida every year for a long time now, and I have seen a real change. The operator I have used the most over the past few years now puts a DM in the water with no extra expense on every dive, and this year was the first time I ever saw it. You are free to stick with that DM or not--your choice. You may want to ask around.

I live near you, up in Boulder. If you send me a private message (PM), I may be able to give you some more explicit help.

Thanks John, upps, i just updated my profile. Yes, i performed all the skills at surface and at 20 feet at the Homestead Crater. But, you know, i feel little bit intimidated with the ocean. Anyhow...I will PM.

I'll take a contrary opinion. Most agencies will say that a student should be able to dive in conditions similiar to the ones in which they were trained. If your training was in a quarry or a spring, then the concept of current or salt water diving may be foreign to you. Even with appropriate training a divers first dives without their Instructor can be intimidating. Whether you're a pilot on your first solo flight or an ER doctor taking the reigns in the ER for the first time after residency; your first experience can be scary. I think it's a valid question to ask. The answer, IMHO, is not necessarily to run to another Instructor and seek more training. That still wont resolve the jitters of doing your first dive without them. If it would make you feel more comfortable on your first dive after certification to have a DM in the water with you then I say do it. Perhaps it will give you peace of mind. Discuss your concerns and reservations with the DM. Simply because the concept of doing your first dive without your Instructor is unsettling, doesn't mean that you've had bad training. It's just different.

Oly spells it out. Only you know how you feel about going off a boat with just a buddy, not a DM. A possibility is trying to get in an ocean shore dive or two beforehand. As pointed out, going down an anchor line to maybe 60' can be a little daunting the very first time, even for someone like myself who was an "ocean" person for decades. A shore dive or two would provide a chance to just do some regular ocean diving and see how you feel with only a buddy. Check out your buoyancy, etc. On a boat you never know what kind of a buddy you'll be assigned. My guess is after the first boat dive, the second one may seem to be relatively a piece of cake.

OK, Homestead Crater. Got it.

For those who are not familiar with it, it is a thermal hot spring near Park City, Utah. It is very small, and it is inside a natural dome with a vent in the top--like a giant igloo. I believe that technically it is an extinct mud geyser. The temperature varies throughout the year, but this time of the year it is usually about 92°. Wet suits are not a good idea.

The ocean will not be similar to that, and you really might want to have a DM for the first dive. I made some other suggestions in the PM I sent before getting back to the thread.

Hello,
I am planing to visit south Florida on mid April. It will be my first time scuba diving into the ocean. I found and operator according to Google reviews I called them but they do not offer a dive master unless you want it and pay. Obviously, I will have a buddy or they will assign it to me.

Question: Do I need to dive with the dive master as a newbie or my buddy will be enough ?

Thanks for your help,

Namerg,
I see nothing wrong with asking to go with a DM. Post getting my cert in the northwest I went to Thailand with my wife and we opted for the DM as a guide for us. We were certified and could do our skills and all the needed things. But we didn't know the sites and by having the DM with us, we could get to see some things on the dive sites we might have missed as well as be able to not worry about getting lost. Doing your dives after your cert on your own can be a challenge. There is nothing wrong getting a DM to lead you around, especially when your on a trip and have not dove any of the sights before.

Do what your comfortable with and most of all enjoy it, diving is awesome! If you want to do some cold water diving and you make it to Seattle ever let me know, I will take you out on some fun dives :)

Namerg. If you tell us where and with who you plan to dive we might be able to be a little more specific with our answers.

If you only did lake or quarry type dives, then my answer is yes, hire a guide. Even if your OW training was dead on and your skills are at the appropriate level for your training, a guide/DM will only enhance your experience. Here are three reasons that immediately come to mind...

1) It avoids the "instabuddy" experience on your first ocean dives.

2) They will know the boat and its routine.

3) They know the dives and where the best reef/critters are likely to be.

Back
Top Bottom