Do I really need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those folks who did the calculations to put the first rocket into space probably could have used an Abacus but apparantly, they choose the slide rule. Is that because the slide rule is easier to use? Now those guys use computers? Hum... wonder why that would be.

Obviously, some people prefer to use the tables in all situations. In very technical diving where's there's high risk the tables probably have a place. Yet here in the Basic Scuba forum, when someone says "no" to the question, "Do I need a dive computer," while it's factually correct, I have to wonder if it's the best answer for recreational diver.

Well, there's the "best" and then there is the "truth", isn't there?

From the author's first post, it's evident that he is knowledgeable and proficient in using dive tables.

Now it comes to what was asked, "Do I really need a computer?"

Can one effect a safe dive without the use of a personal dive computer?

The answer is quite simple, yes . . .

Since one can effect a dive without the use of a personal dive computer, then the obvious answer to the author's question is, no . . . you don't really NEED a computer.

the K

Well, there's the "best" and then there is the "truth", isn't there?

the K

That's what I said.

Edit:
I too will add a comment... my response was not directed specifically to the OP. The Op obviously knew a computer was not needed to make a dive as they had already been doing so. If I were going to make a recommendation It would be; "when you have the money for a computer you'll probably be happier with one than without one." Safer is another debate.

Last edited:
Obviously, some people prefer to use the tables in all situations. In very technical diving where's there's high risk the tables probably have a place. Yet here in the Basic Scuba forum, when someone says "no" to the question, "Do I need a dive computer," while it's factually correct, I have to wonder if it's the best answer for recreational diver.

I don't think there's a best answer. Tables work just fine thats why all the agencies teach them, but a computer is just another "tool" in your scuba "toolbox" that can be very useful in certain situtations.

He asked, "do I need" a computer. The answer is clearly no.

If he asked, "should I use" or "can I get more bottom time with" - or even "can I get a better dive experience with" - the answers could be yes. But NEED? No. Always no.

I don't think there's a best answer. Tables work just fine thats why all the agencies teach them, but a computer is just another "tool" in your scuba "toolbox" that can be very useful in certain situtations.

The tables work just fine... Very true.

As one progresses through school they're still taught how to do mathematical calculations in long-hand and it works just fine. So that means your calculator or the computer on your desk is just another tool in your tool box. I'm not sure I can remember the last time I pulled out the yellow pad and No2 pencil to figure a percentage but because of what I was taught during school some simple percentages can be done in my head.

Last edited:
Computers are VERY handy in that they handle multi-level profile dives in a way I don't think any diver can calculate in their head. Uncle Pug does multi-level dives similar to the computer where he spends no more than NDL at max depth, and then splits the remainder of the dive into thirds along with the depth, and ends up with a profile very similar to using a computer without actually using one. This makes sense, hit NDL for the allotted time, and slowly ascend.

Personally I think a dive computer for multi-level profiles IS the way to dive. If one is doing flat profile, then it becomes less necessary. Computers however do ALL the things that a diver must do on their own with tables, but can take into account minute by minute depth changes. Many give credit for deep stops, but some do not.

There was a time when NO ONE used a computer. Heck, they did not have SPG's. However given the current cost of computers, and the extra safety they provide to the recreational diver, I can not think of a good reason NOT to use one unless maybe doing deco diving. Most deco divers I know however do use a computer.

Since one can effect a dive without the use of a personal dive computer, then the obvious answer to the author's question is, no . . . you don't really NEED a computer.

the K

So one is at 110' diving the Spiegel Grove, and one becomes entangled. This happened to a buddy I was diving with. How long did we spend at that depth in the unexpected turn of events? I'm not really certain, but more than we had planned for.

Now the plan has changed, the profile has changed, and so what did we do? Well, we checked out computers to see if we were in deco (we were on the edge), and modified the dive plan slightly so we would exit the ship (we were doing light penetration) sooner than planned, and go shallower on remainder of the dive.

After cutting my buddy out of this mess of line, I discovered I was narced. How did I know? I could not get my knife back in the sheath! I finally did, but...

So the profile changed, the dive plan changed, and I was narced. I was VERY happy I had a computer on my wrist to help determine how best to alter the plan. Had I not, I would likely have been fine. While I don't think you NEED much of anything to dive outside of a mask, tank, fins, and reg, it sure is nice to have the right gear when problems arise. The computer also helped keep us calm as it is a good reality check.

I did my first four OW cert dives without a computer...just using a watch, SPG/depth gauge, and NAUI tables. My very first scuba purchase out of class was a computer (I actually borrowed money from my boyfriend to purchase it). Why? Because, as a brand new diver, I was really worried about my ability to make slow, safe ascents while being task loaded with all the things a new diver finds themselves worrying about. The "slow ascent" warning on my computer was fantastic! It was also great to be able to just dive, and not have to worry about calculating tables (not that tables are hard, but I'm a bit math impaired!)

I completed about a hundred dives or so without even doing so much as looking at my tables.

Then, I enrolled in AN/DP class..and one of the first things the instructor said was, "We're going to be completing all these dives using a computer as a bottom time and cutting our own tables using a dive planning software". What?!? I was pretty uneasy about this (and had no idea how to even put my computer into "gauge" mode at first!)

But, you know what? I realized how lazy of a diver I had become. Prior to the class, I didn't worry so much about keeping to a max depth. My dive buddy and I usually had a loose plan (dive to such-and-such, then turn around and head back), so I didn't usually worry about keeping to an exact max depth. I just completed my dive with sufficient air reserves, and came up when I hit NDL (or completed deco according to my computer's calculations).

It was very different having to dive tables again. Suddenly, I had to become a much more aware diver when it came to keeping to a dive schedule. It mattered if I exceeded max depth, because it changed my deco schedule. I had a bit of a sobering moment in AN/DP class, when I wandered nearly 10 ft below my max planned depth on a simulate deco dive, and realized that had that been an actual decompression dive, I'd have missed several minutes of deco (because I didn't plan for that depth!). It also mattered that I stay within a certain run time, because that's what my dive tables called for.

I find that diving tables has made me a much more conscientious diver. Instead of just doing what a computer tells me to, I plan out my dive in detail, and execute my plan.

I'm definitely not saying that diving the tables is for everyone, or that I won't use my computer for NDL dives, but a computer isn't nearly as necessary as I previously thought it was! :)

I really think I'm a better diver now that I'm not relying solely on my computer :)

Just my two cents!

The computer has really revolutionized recreational diving. It allows much longer multilevel dives and frees you from a pre-planned depth regimen. You're much more free to explore and improvise and concentrate on taking photos if that's what you do.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom