Do i really need a Dive Computer for first time in the ocean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My guess is that those who have responded here are trying to encourage the OP to not do what so many new divers do, which is to forget all about "dive planning" as soon as they finish the OW course and are out in the "real world" of dive boats with divemaster-led dives. Yes, we all know that in that world the diver can get by without doing any planning with tables or computer. But it would be irresponsible of us here to encourage the new diver to fall into that kind of complacency and/or let those newly acquired dive planning skills get rusty.

Are you saying that my statement is encouraging non-planning?

I think it's a double-negative there means no, it's not encouraging non-planning, so you're good. Or something.

It's a first dive, in a group with a guide. The guide will tell them what the plan is. If it's a boat dive chances are they'll also tell them what the site is -- as in, the wind turned nasty this morning so there's too much chop at X, so we're going to Y instead. Then you plan your dive on the way to Y.

Most important plan: stay where the DM can see you.

It's hard to tell from all the posts, but the OP now knows pretty much where he is going, and I am familiar with that operator. He knows that there will be a DM in the water that he can choose to accompany or not. In my experience with that operator, the DM is usually unaccompanied, so if he chooses to go with the DM, it will be a nice experience with the DM acting like a knowledgeable buddy. That first dive will almost certainly be to a relatively shallow wreck. The second dive will be a drift dive on a shallow reef. He should have a great time.

Your statement sounded slightly ambiguous to me. If you hadn't ended it with "plan your dive, dive your plan" then I definitely would have interpreted it that way. I interpreted it as something like "plan your dive and dive your plan, but as a practical matter it won't matter all that much since you will run out of air before you run out of no-deco time."

Most operators will want each diver to have a computer, and if you don't have one, they will rent you one. Call ahead and find out the rules. Also, I agree with those who recommend you use one. Computers increase our margin of safety, and give constant feedback on depth, no decompression limits at current depth, and so on. You don't need a helmet to ride a motorcycle, but it's a really good idea to wear one. Same thing as to a dive computer.
DivemasterDennis

Computers increase our margin of safety...

With respect, I don't agree. How can competently using a computer increase the margin of safety above competently using the table approach described in post #2 in this thread?

With respect, I don't agree. How can competently using a computer increase the margin of safety above competently using the table approach described in post #2 in this thread?

Well if the diver pays attention to it that could have some truth to it. I started dive using Jvalves which if used correctly could NOT be ignored. Then SPGs became affordable and similar statements were made about their use. This of course is if the diver paid attention to it. Now the PDC is the new SPG, they do have audio alarms which I suppose can be ignored. I can't hear mine or anyone else's; a blessing on charter dives I'm told. The point is PDCs are as safe as the diver wearing it, if the diver ignores it, it might as well be in the dive bag, and divers do ignore them just check the A&I and the basic forums.

I find this thread a bit amusing. Seems to me that some of the same folks who talk about being responsible for yourself are saying just blindly trust the DM (and pray I guess that you do not get separated and you do dive the same profile and ....)

All of You, thank you so much for all you advices. I learned a lot. There are divers that used dive tables and even Jvalves which is the first time I hear about it. I am sorry if all my questions caused some itchy thoughts. Peace and Thank you all. This site rocks.

Well if the diver pays attention to it... This of course is if the diver paid attention to it...

Yes, I think the operative phrase is "pay attention." Competent diving using tables, and competent diving using a computer, both require that one pays attention. I really wasn't considering the case where a diver's actions are prompted by his/her computer alarms, as this is less than competent computer diving (imho).

I was focused more on the margins of safety that are built into the tables approach described in post #2 in this thread. A competent diver almost certainly won't squeeze out every possible minute of bottom time allowed on his/her initial dive and repetitive dive by a computer, but his DCS risk will be lower, imho.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom