Do not wait until the last minute to get gear serviced!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my regs & computer seem fine only about 20 dives on them so far - should i assume that i should at least still take them to the shop to be "inspected" to maintain warranty? the octo & computer are both Aeris. the main 2nd stage is Atomic. everything "looks" good on it and any sand in the regs i clean out from the the shore dives. after every dive everything gets a freshwater rinse & drip dry in the shade, then stored inside in the closet until next dive.

Very good advice. I would also add if you haven't tried on your wetsuit for a while you should try on your gear before you pack for vacation, and with enough time to replace anything you need.

I found out my daughter had outgrown her wetsuit in less than 6 months when we were gearing up for a dive on the dive boat. She couldn't zip up the zipper all the way without feeling like she was being choked. She had to dive with the zipper partially down. It worked well in Hawaii but gets too cold here in California.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2013 at 02:51 PM ----------

And, I've seen more than one reg have issues after they were serviced. One of the guys in our dive club actually had to abort the dive just after starting due to a steady stream of bubbles coming out of his first stage after it had been serviced. You should have your gear serviced with enough time to get them back from the shop at a reasonable time but if possible have at least a pool session if not a regular dive to ensure the gear doesn't need to back for fine tuning.

Jim, I am right in the middle of this, as we speak. My LDS has 2 trips leaving within a month. We have people trying to bring in equipment less than 2 weeks before one of the trips leave. I am the only repair technician at the shop & I have to work a full time job (12 hr swing shifts), so I can only work on equipment a couple days a week. needless to say, the shop also got slammed with "no rush" equipment in January (over 70 regulators) plus over 50 regulator sets for local public safety dive teams that have streamed in. Typically we do the PSD equipment first, then those with a deadline (if reasonable- if not, we will check it out only), then the "no rush regulators. I typically can only get 3- 4 regulators done per day (I like to take my time & be thorough). It's been tense, with dive season right around the corner. I think I need to be cloned....:D

I wonder how many of those people getting their annual service actually need it...

Depends. Some definitely do, while others don't. Dive count isn't always an indicator.

Jim, I am right in the middle of this, as we speak. My LDS has 2 trips leaving within a month. We have people trying to bring in equipment less than 2 weeks before one of the trips leave. I am the only repair technician at the shop & I have to work a full time job (12 hr swing shifts), so I can only work on equipment a couple days a week. needless to say, the shop also got slammed with "no rush" equipment in January (over 70 regulators) plus over 50 regulator sets for local public safety dive teams that have streamed in. Typically we do the PSD equipment first, then those with a deadline (if reasonable- if not, we will check it out only), then the "no rush regulators. I typically can only get 3- 4 regulators done per day (I like to take my time & be thorough). It's been tense, with dive season right around the corner. I think I need to be cloned....:D

What you need to do is sell the psd teams gear that a designated member or members of the team can service themselves. Charge a good fee for the class and teach them how to do it. Then just sell them the kits. Even if you go in and supervise them the first couple times.

As it stands now due to my work schedule and teaching, as well as diving, turn around time is now going to be a minimum of a week from the time I get it if I know it's coming and arrives when it's supposed to. If not two weeks.

I am not even going to consider expediting charges because the time is simply not there. I too like to take my time. If someone now wants a rush job they'll need to take it or send it to someone else.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The saying is that the worst thing you can do for your gear is have it serviced.

This is the kind of "internet advice" that people should ignore. As a person that does service from time to time on customer regs as well as all of my own, I can "speak" from first-hand experience on this. Sorry Shasta_man, but that saying is ridiculous at best.

What would you do if you took your car in to the dealer for routine service and the dealer told you it would be 1 to 2 weeks?

This situation should not be acceptable to divers or businesses.

---------- Post added May 21st, 2013 at 08:30 AM ----------

This is the kind of "internet advice" that people should ignore. As a person that does service from time to time on customer regs as well as all of my own, I can "speak" from first-hand experience on this. Sorry Shasta_man, but that saying is ridiculous at best.

Sad but not ridiculous. The problem is it is all too often true.

The few that come in that haven't even been in the water since last service, I definitely agree it's not necessary. Those that get left in a salty rinse tank without the cap in place, leaving no lube in side and tons of crap to clean out....

Back
Top Bottom