Do not wait until the last minute to get gear serviced!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For new and newer divers as well as some older ones. One of the big issues I see with those who are just getting into the activity is a serious lack of understanding regarding when to get your gear serviced. I don't mean following the manufacturers recommendations about every year or two years. What I do mean is when divers are planning trips or outings at the beginning of the season and waiting until a week before the plane or ship leaves and deciding they need to get their gear looked at.

Many of us who service gear have a great deal of time during the winter months when our local sites are not as popular and we are not diving or teaching every weekend. This is the time to get your gear looked at if needed. My suggested guide is a minimum of one month before you leave. In fact, if you can, make an appt with your tech when you book your flight. That way we know to give you a call or shoot an email to remind you as the time gets close.

I don't recall this being mentioned in my OW class but I do tell my current students about it. If you think there may be an issue with your regs why wait? This is in fact part of the entire dive planning process. Just as making sure you have a flight and a room is. A dive trip requires extensive planning and I find that most people don't seem to consider everything part of the overall dive plan. But it is! The plane, room, car, housesitter, petsitter, etc. all the way down to what signals you and your buddy will be using on the boat is part of the dive plan. Not just a vacation plan.

So when you go through all of this the last thing you want to worry about is your gear at the last minute. That has the potential to throw a wrench in the whole plan. If you can't get it back in time from the tech due to their schedule you may now have to revamp your entire plans.

Does the place you are going even have rental gear?

Is it rental gear you are familiar with?

If they don't can your LDS rent you gear to take?

Any of those now require you to redo your finances for the trip. That little shore excursion you really wanted to do? Nope. Have to spend that money on gear.

A number of us work on schedules that don't leave a lot of flexibility. Now that the season is kicking off in my area the time I have to perform reg service is limited due to diving and teaching commitments. We try to accomodate where we can. But send me a message on Saturday saying you need the regs by next Saturday and you are in California? I say if I get them in my hands Monday I can look at them and get them back via overnight and then I don't hear back?

I can't cancel classes to service a reg that should have been sent to me two weeks ago. Or taken to an LDS that is not a dealer and told that they are not ok before asking to send them to me? Not knowing what they did or how they tested them?

Think about what it will mean to wait until the last minute and then expect a tech to drop everything. Sometimes we can. Other times we can't. It's better to not take the chance.

If you think your regs need looked at get it done when you decide to take the trip. Don't wait til the last minute.

Another suggestion I would make is to get active in local diving and try to dive as year round as your climate allows. This way you are working on your skills and comfort and being constantly aware of the condition of your gear.

As a solo diver who needs 2 of everything, certain brands (cough Hog cough) are so affordable that I just buy 2 of most everything.

I have a long hose reg setup and a stage bottle reg setup. If I have a last minute problem with either a first stage, second stage or high pressure spool I can just switch my components around and keep diving while I send the other off for service. My fins have spring straps so I'm very unlikely to have a problem there. Spare masks, two computers, three lights and so on.

Amen brother Jim...

Florida's mini lobster season is just over two months away. It amazes me how many wait until the last week to get their tanks vised or even hydroed or their regs serviced. You may not realize it, but everyone else is doing the very same thing and that makes it Florida's busiest time for dive shops. Do you really want your reg to be rushed through so that they can meet the demand? Do yourself and your dive op a favor and follow Jim's advice. NOW is the time to get your gear serviced.

True indeed...

Moreover, one should allow time to make a couple of dives in order to make sure that the serviced gear (regulators, mostly) has no malfunctions after the service.

Better than finding the problems when already on vacation or on liveaboard...

Sent from my myTouch 4G

In our area, even local diving requires an overnight stay. We hit the pool a few weeks before a trip to test gear. That is now being revised to allow more time.

There are no shops in my area that service our brand of regs. Our Lds will farm them out to another shop in that instance and as I just found out, they are not great at what they do. Jim's working on our regs trying to un_uck them as we speak. Thankfully we arent in a huge rush with no trips planned for a few weeks. If there are no local shops to work on your brand, take the time to send them to a known authorized service tech.

Lesson learned.

True indeed...

Moreover, one should allow time to make a couple of dives in order to make sure that the serviced gear (regulators, mostly) has no malfunctions after the service.

Better than finding the problems when already on vacation or on liveaboard...

Sent from my myTouch 4G

I've learned this the hard way. We got our regs back with about 3 weeks to spare before our trip. From the first dive of 20 until the last one my reg honked and and made a bew different "harmonics", as it once said to me. It breathed just fine, annoying and worrisome though.

Question: If you're tank ha a sticker for vis that says say June/2013, can I get fills till the end of June or is the last fill I could get would be in late May/2013?

Depends on the shop really. The one I use most often for fills will fill until the end of the month indicated. Others want to see a fresh sticker. Best bet is to pick up the phone and call the shop you wish to use.

I contract with a shop for fills for my students to keep costs down since my classes are generally small and I don't have a lot of them at one time. If I did have my own compressor I'd go til the end of the month indicated. But again if you know you are going to be using the gear why take the chance. If it's stamped June take it in on June 1st and get it done. Don't wait until the 30th and expect to get it vis'd and filled in time for your diving on July 1st. Shops have other customers and work to do that did come in before the last minute Larry's.

My other job will do what we call fast orders. Ie a customer calls and really really needs a part cut and shipped in 24 hours. We will do it. But a $35.00 shim done this way if we are busy may result in as much as a $500.00 expediting charge because we have to stop a job. Set up the machine for something different, then reset the machine. That takes time and time is money. So the 35.00 shim that may cost a few bucks to ship now is a 535.00 part. Sometimes it is an emergency. Usually it's poor planning on the part of someone.

I was at the shop on a Friday night not long ago, and a customer came in right before closing with two sets of regs - his and wife's. Tech starts to check gear in, asks all the usual questions, including "when do you need 'em?"

"Yeah, um... our flight leaves at 10am tomorrow."

Great post and reminder form Jim. Debbie and I got in the habit of always having items ion for service 90 days before a scheduled trip, and items I was serviicng done 30 days before, so we can "test drive" everything after service before heading out.
One does trust the service people, but a test of the gear in use after servicing has saved us a hassle on more than one trip.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom