Do you dive locally?

Do you primarily dive locally, or at vacation locations?

• All of my dives are on vacation.

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Most of my dives are done on vacation, but some are local.

Votes: 29 10.9%
  • Most of my dives are local, but some are done on vacation.

Votes: 185 69.3%
  • All of my dives are local dives.

Votes: 37 13.9%
  • I am a commercial diver - I dive where I live - underwater.

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am lucky to live in an area with 15,000 lakes within an easy drive. Lot's of folks find the lakes cold and uninviting ... but I love diving them.

I also like tropical diving and was in Roatan last year, Cozumel in January and am headed for Bonaire in less than 3 weeks.

I think it does matter as to what one considers "locally". Living in Atlanta, there aren't too many options available to dive locally. The closet decent dive site that I know of is in Pelham, Alabama. It's about a 2 hour drive for me in a relatively cold quarry (60-68 degrees). I have adjusted by getting a 7 mm wet suit and diving in a dry suit. When you take the cold component out of the equation (sort of anyway), then the diving is much more enjoyable. During the dive season I try to go 2-4 times a month. Helps me stay sharp, try out new equipment, and just get away from an otherwise hectic life.

I don't scuba-dive, I snorkel, but unlike most of my compatriots, I choose to swim in the North Sea off the North East coast of England, not in remote tropical resorts necessitating expensive and troublesome air travel. The UK comprises countries surrounded by sea. Why go abroad? Buy a dry or wet suit instead to solve the temperature problem and you can go snorkelling, on impulse, any time hereabouts.

If I am lucky, I get to take 1 dive vacation a year, to some nice tropical place.

That leaves 51 weeks of good old New England diving.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I do almost all of my diving locally and it is not the type of conditions that most people like. I generally have only 12-15' visibility, The water is generally cold (it ranges from about 45-65), and there is usually a strong current, which is ideal for drift diving.

That's great vis! Ours is usually about 3-5' at the local lake.

Stop Bragging!:)

I'm not sure that's bragging, but I have felt very lucky this winter when I was getting that much vis. There were a few times in Dec that I found underwater landmarks by running into them. I went to Florida in Jan. I was told by my friends that I should put a potato sack over my head when I dive, so I wouldn't be scared by the blue water.
:rofl3: :rofl3:

I would say 80% local 20% on vacation. If I win the lottery, those numbers will change dramatically. :crafty:

I 100% aligned with you here !

During almost 15 years, I only dove on vacations, and unfortunately it allowed less than 10 dives :depressed:
Local diving in wonderful-but-cold SoCa has multiplied that a bit !

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom