Do you dive locally?

Do you primarily dive locally, or at vacation locations?

• All of my dives are on vacation.

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Most of my dives are done on vacation, but some are local.

Votes: 29 10.9%
  • Most of my dives are local, but some are done on vacation.

Votes: 185 69.3%
  • All of my dives are local dives.

Votes: 37 13.9%
  • I am a commercial diver - I dive where I live - underwater.

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha! I have never heard of anyone traveling to SouthWest Michigan (inland) to dive. Those are my local stomping grounds and as soon as it's warm enough we'll be in the water at least once if not twice a week :p.

I voted local with some vacation but think votes like mine should count even more!

You're in the 10,000 dive club?

Nope - I just worked it out. The sig figs are correct if he has as few as 9081 dives, 8198 local and 883 on holiday.

How is that for being a nerd?

PS - I assumed no cross-correlation between travel and local dives and assumed an uncertainty in the number of travel and local dives to be unity, respectively. The expansion was truncated at the quadratic terms.

Isn't all diving on "Vacation" if you are not a commercial diver?

I live in a swamp, local diving bites, I do not count the dives that I do as a DM for classes, so if by Dives you mean Logged dives then I do all of my dives on Vacation. Hard to count as experience a dive that has been done 50 times the same way. however if by local diving you mean anything from South Texas to north Florida then about 1/2 my divining is local. I have to drive 6-10 hours to dive in mostly clean water but that is not necessarily on vacation unless you count weekends as vacation then again change my vote to all on vacation. :D I can confuse this subject more if you like...

Based in Virginia, most of my diving was in Florida. Its a 2 hour plane trip and I book in advance to get good rates. North Carolina is 5 hours drive so this summer I plan on diving there as much as possible. I dont know whether a 5 hour drive would be "local" but I know that its not "vacation" either. Somewhat in between???

I have been following a thread at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5084126-post341.html where the statement was made "if all we served were local divers, probably 2/3rds of the shops here would close." How do you feel about this? Do you primarily dive locally, or primarily on vacation?

I realize that the fact that you are reading this on SB may well indicate that you are a dedicated diver who dives locally and the results will be biased...

I have never dived locally. I have only dived on vacation once. I typically dive while traveling for business!

I have never dived locally. I have only dived on vacation once. I typically dive while traveling for business!

Chris12day,

Your diving while working is similar to my situation. My response to your comment is: on the days you dived, were you paid salary for working that day? If yes, then you dove while at work (not on vacation). If, on the other hand, you took personal leave while at a nice location, or the diving was done on a weekend, you were on vacation. :)

But I'm lucky enough to live in a place that other people travel to to dive.

Same here. I do about 99% of my diving locally, but the first thing I do if I am travelling is look to see if there is anything to see which is worth lugging the dive gear where I am going. Except when I visit my brother in Arizona, obviously.

I realize that the fact that you are reading this on SB may well indicate that you are a dedicated diver who dives locally and the results will be biased...

I reckon that has got to be true.

Yes, the problem is that the word "local" is being contrasted in the poll with the word "vacation", when they're not exclusive opposites. One is about space, the other is about time. I would have been more interested in finding out how many people dive or snorkel within their own state or country and how many leave the country to dive or snorkel. I only snorkel these days in the North Sea, 8 miles away from where I live, and because I'm retired, I wonder how the word "vacation" applies in my case.

Yes, the problem is that the word "local" is being contrasted in the poll with the word "vacation", when they're not exclusive opposites. One is about space, the other is about time.

Yes, you are correct. However, I believe that most people who responded were able to classify their dives without doing too much violence to their personal integrity. Part of the art of communication lies in clarity, and part lies in succinctness.

I would submit that a retired person is always on vacation. :)

I would have been more interested in finding out how many people dive or snorkel within their own state or country and how many leave the country to dive or snorkel.

Sounds like you have a good idea and should start a poll.

Back
Top Bottom