Do you dive locally?

Do you primarily dive locally, or at vacation locations?

• All of my dives are on vacation.

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Most of my dives are done on vacation, but some are local.

Votes: 29 10.9%
  • Most of my dives are local, but some are done on vacation.

Votes: 185 69.3%
  • All of my dives are local dives.

Votes: 37 13.9%
  • I am a commercial diver - I dive where I live - underwater.

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDocER:
I think it does matter as to what one considers "locally".

Based on the wording of the poll, I'd say dives you can make without going on vacation.

My local diving has been slowing a bit due to life interferences :D but I would estimate today that 75% of my dives in 2010 will be local.

Also don't assume that vacation diving means easier diving ... that ain't always the case.

My vacations to the Channel Islands means dealing with surge at 90 feet ... we only get surge in Puget Sound when the ferry goes by.

My vacations to British Columbia mean colder water than home ... the water here is currently 47 degrees F ... depending on where you go, it could be 5 degrees colder than that in BC.

My vacations in Hawaii or NorCal mean surf entries. Surf isn't something we see very often in Puget Sound.

My vacations in Florida mean caves ... we don't have any cave diving where I live.

So, in this context, "vacation diver" really means that you're probably going to experience a DIFFERENT environment ... not necessarily an easier one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So, in this context, "vacation diver" really means that you're probably going to experience a DIFFERENT environment ... not necessarily an easier one ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Agreed, Bob. The question was put to the Board so as to sound out the statement "if all we served were local divers, probably 2/3rds of the shops here would close" (cf. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5084126-post341.html). As noted by many, including the OP, this is feedback without claims at being perfectly representative. However, having been previously accused of complaining without trying to solve the problem, I chose to take an active role in (partly) informing myself.

While I've had the chance to dive in a lot of different places for work, most of my diving has been and continues to be local.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is certainly the case for me.

I love diving locally. But then again, I live in SoCal where the diving is amazing.

I started as a local diver, but my first warm water trip partly cured me, and the second finished the job.

Used to be 75% of our dives were local, but we are now doing at least 2 weeks of tropical trips each year so we are about 50/50 now.

but then, we have a really cool place to dive locally!
031409BlueHole_077.jpg

video: [vimeo]5829074[/vimeo]

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom