• I plan to try it one day

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Never, I’m too frightened

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Never, it’s not safe

Votes: 12 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could not answer the poll, as the choices were too restrictive.

I do dive solo, but not everywhere, nor at just any time. A lot of solo dives on Bonaire, and a few elsewhere. Generally shallow, never with any overhead or even swim through. Lots of times with a camera, and many of those predawn solos, where I have the ocean to myself, and occasional night dives where I just want to dive without a light and enjoy the natural beauty of the ocean undesturbed.

I would have to go through my log books, but probably 50 or more dives on Bonaire alone were solo. As a rule I want to already know a site pretty well, although I have broken this rule a couple times, only to decide afterward that the rule was a wise one, and breaking it not so much.

Not counting my very first 2 dives (Vortex Spring in FL, with lots of others & classes around), my first solo dive was after 75 dives--my initial (and only) regular buddy moved. My rule is 30' near shore in relatively benign conditions (I have broken that rule a few times and eclipsed 50' from shore and maybe 80' from a charter when that was the best practical thing to do and I was permitted). As long as I don't get entangled, it's glorified snorkelling (I figure I'm safer at 20-30' on the bottom if I have air). Of course, conventional wisdom is you shouldn't snorkel or even just swim alone. I think we've had this poll before.

I did vote anywhere, anytime, but that is not 100% accurate...
The most accurate would be anywhere, anytime where I deem the circumstances right - remember that whole thing about anyone being able to abort any dive at any time for any reason? It still apply when solo diving, and if it don't feel right, the waters still gonna be there tomorrow..

My most recent dive was a solo night dive to 11 meters the 15th of this month. My next dive will be a solo dive to a depth of <insert depth up to 30m> this coming tuesday...

I do dive solo most of the time. I used the information on the solo forum to gain an understanding of th requirements. After that it was a case of buying a 19ft pony bottle, the spare mask, etc. I dive this way because I can do my on thing.

I could not answer the polls as well. At least half of my dives are solo. Dives with photography friends are effectively solo. Even if we get in the the water together we do our own thing. Most warm water diving seems to be effectively solo diving by mob. And a lot of warm water diving is solo diving off a beach. There is no depth limit for solo diving that I use, but conditions matter. Diving solo in and of itself is not much of a risk factor.

Ive been solo from my first dive in the late 60's. I dive mostly with buddys but when solo I set limittions to the dive profile. Limitations include .

No deep, usually 60 ft and less
No overhead soft or hard
99.9% of the time no night dives,,,,, I have one location i can dive blind in.
No currents
No unfamiliar water
No areas with known entanglements.

The limits I set for myself is not from fear but from what I think prudent judgement dictates.

Last edited:
Am I reading the poll wrong? People dive without solo training? I'm only asking because I'd prefer to just read the book and not pay to take the solo class but I know alot of places require a cert to solo dive. I wouldnt do anything crazy. just some local quarry dives

Am I reading the poll wrong? People dive without solo training? I'm only asking because I'd prefer to just read the book and not pay to take the solo class but I know alot of places require a cert to solo dive. I wouldnt do anything crazy. just some local quarry dives

If you are actually solo who is going to ask you to show a card?

I guess you mean, diving without a buddy from a commercial boat that has other divers on it but you are just going to not have a buddy. See, I am not sure I can call that solo. You do not have an assigned buddy but you are nonetheless in the water with other divers. It has been my experience that these commercial ops rarely allow diving without an assigned buddy, with or without a solo card.

But, I suspect as many other things, the future may bring sufficient recognition of the legitimacy of solo or in this case, without an assigned buddy diving, and then and therefore the value of a solo C card may increase. Right now, they are pretty worthless.

Yes, most solo divers dive without a solo specific C card. We trained ourselves. And as you might expect from a population of independent, stubborn, nonconformist, none of us agree widely upon even the definition of solo or the level of gear encumbrance needed. As a minimalist, I reduce my gear when solo, not increase it since I now have no need of a buddy support system. And people can tell me I am wrong until they are blue in the face, see, I have been diving actual solo for decades and feel I know at least as much about it as they do proven by the fact I am still here and in fact, some of them are not (with or without a buddy).

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom