Do you Drink and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermaid8773

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious to know how many people have ALWAYS dove 100% sober......

Can a beer kill you?

Let's get it started......I'm excited to read this one.

For the record, I have NEVER drank and dove.....but, I'm wondering if this is normal!!!!

Get the stories going~

Big Hugs~

Alix

Trust me, you're normal. :)

The occasional drink after a few dives probably won't kill you. But since I get my high in the deep I don't need any alcohol.

Drinking prior to a dive can be harmful for several reasons. The obvious impairment from the alcohol, but the bodies inability to off gas as effectively as without alcohol is the other issue.

I limit myself to one drink the night before or just stick to ice tea and water, Why risk it?

mermaid8773:
I'm curious to know how many people have ALWAYS dove 100% sober......

:11:

Actually, I always dive 100% sober.

I couldn't agree more....

Though I have drank heavily the night before.....but, allowed a good 10-12 hours before diving.

I'm just curious on this.....

Had a friend get REALLY mad at her buddy for having 1 beer 3 hours before a dive. I'm just wondering, basically, if it is justified......

Thinking this will be an interesting question for the community.

Big Hugs~

Alix

I am sure this thread will generate a lot of traffic. Here goes my thoughts. I have not drank any alcoholic beverages before any dives. Plus, I will not dive with anyone who had a drink before diving. However, I have drank more than my share the night before. Not enough to have a hangover the next day. I never thought my skills were impaired by drinking the night before, I suspect I might be a bit niave.

I have posed this question to DAN. I suggest you do the same. You may come to a different answer than I. Per Dan, there is no direct cause between drinking and DCS. However, it is thought that drinking shortly after a dive MIGHT increase the chances of DCS due to increased dehydration and reduced blood flow in the body at a time when you are expecting to off-gas nitrogen. I have talked with instructors who feel drinking after diving is like drinking poison. Particularly challenging for resorts that offer wine/beer as you end you dives for the day. He made a big stink challenging the dive operations decision.

Although DCS might be one concern, I feel that making a mistake underwater due to alcohol consumption is a bigger concern, perhaps a Huge concern. Toward that end, I feel drinking before a dive is plain stupid. I am an EMT. I dive in the North East ocean under poor vis conditions. I always look for a challenge but dealing with a panicked diver because he/she ghad a drink before the dive is something I do not want to deal with. I can wait until the dive ends to have a drink.

Hope this helps - Tom

Well I've never drank the day of a dive, but 1 beer 3 hours before diving is diving completely sober - not that I would do it. But on average, after one drink, the ammount of alcohol in the blood peaks after 30-45 minutes. Now the average drinker can metabolise .017 BAC per hour. So after 3 hours he could have metabolised .0510 which should be far less than one beers worth.

That said I still wouldn't do it.

Source:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/alcohol/bacreport.html

I would never dive, drive, or fly (as a pilot) after drinking. After diving, the thing I want most is either water, or a huge glass of iced tea. If I've been drinking the night before diving and I don't feel as though I am 100% when I get up the next morning, I'd rather skip the morning dives.

Back
Top Bottom