Do you Drink and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One or two at most the night before (beer, wine, cocktail) with dinner, never before diving. I used to occasionally have one beer with lunch, but no longer do this.If diving on my boat I will bring one or two beers for return trip - it's a 40 mile trip off shore. Wreck dives here are less than 80' and we practice very slow ascents. Post dive beer is not a good idea after a stressful or long, deep dive. I generally eat very lightly and drink a lot of gatorade and water.

I guess I'm witht the general concessus here to, I never drink before a dive. the night before maybe 2 or 3. Alcohol dehydrates you and that can be a factor in a DCS hit, therefore no thanks. Post dive all I want is some water and food.

I would not be under the influance of anything while diving you need to keep a clear head.

I have to agree Drinking and Diving don't Mix. I am all for have a good time, but there is a time to drink and a time to party! Mixing the two can be a costly mistake!

I've had a beer or two the night before a dive, but never the same day. I do usually finish off a bottle of water before I get to a dive site, and attack one during the SIs to make sure I'm hydrated.
Personally I think bladder pressure can get high enough during a dive without a beer on top!

I don't drink so my opinion carries little weight but in my studies for DM I have come across several articles that talk about the effects of drinking and diving.

Excessive drinking can cause dehydration which may have an effect on the bodies ability to off gas. The body uses water to process the alcohol and a lot of water! Heavy drinking the night before a dive definitely causes some degree of dehydration.

There are studies that show a single drink can have a positive effect on increasing blood flow to the heart, lungs and tissues. This would have a increased effect on both on gassing and off gassing.

My guess is a beer after diving might aid in off gassing efficiency.

I would be leery about drinking before diving as it might increase the ability to on gas and increase N2 load and then the effect would wear off causing a slowdown of off gassing. Also there is the narcotic effect of alcohol. That alone is a bad mix with being under water. Nitrogen Narcosis is bad enough and adding to that is pure foolishness in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom