Do you Drink and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe I may have dived on acid, but it would have been in the late 60's or early 70's. I was there so I can't remember for sure!

drbill:
I believe I may have dived on acid, but it would have been in the late 60's or early 70's. I was there so I can't remember for sure!

One of my fondest childhood memories was standing on the corner of Haight and Ashbury in 1969. I was 8 and it forever changed my life. It only took one day. Took me 30 years to get back. The place changed a bit.

Remember those "hippy" newspapers?

Well, I read "Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas" as excerpts in the Rolling Stone(now mainstream). The illustrations were incredibly gross, really shocking for the time. And I remember seeing copies of the Los Angeles Free Press, but I was just a kid.

I was incredibly hungover from a work related staff party for my last 2 ow check out dives. I was plenty hydrated (always drink lots of water) but putting on all that gear and a wetsuit in the dog days of august and the scorching heat was certainly not fun. Since then I never drink before diving, which is actually a good thing because it gives me an excuse not to go to the bar and spend the money on dive related items instead without being "uncool"...great to be young :). Post dive, the first thing I grab is an ice cold bottle of water to get rid of the horrible cotton mouth I get from breathing compressed air, oh that and a cookie.

No more than 1 drink within 12 hours of diving and it must be at least 9 hours before. If I'm not going to be driving the boat or a car and was nowhere near a deco limit, I may have 1 beer 1 hour after a dive. I'd never have alcohol while in a hot tub.

My personal rules make it a bit tough when away on vacations as resorts and cruises seem to call for alcohol. However, the dive is more fun than the buzz of drinking. Besides, I'd rather spend my money on diving (or my boat) than on liquor. And, finally, if I really want a buzz, 95 feet will do just fine!!!!

I have and always will dive sober. This sport already has enough elements for a permanent dirt nap without further complications. :05:

I'll sacrifice the alcohol before I sacrifice a dive.

Richard

Never.

Never have, never would. Why? If you know you're diving how hard is it to say to yourself, no thanks, I'm diving? Or to others? There's no reason to drink and dive, that's good enough reason not to.

Thanks, everyone......

I can honestly say that it was great insight for me! Being new to the sport, I feel that it is an important question to ask.

I agree that SCUBA is dangerous to begin with and adding any substance to it increases that danger. Why push the envelope?

Had diving dreams last night......guess I'm gonna have to get in the water this week.

You guys (and gals) are the best!

Big Hugs~

Alix

Most symptoms of a hangover are related to the dehydration effects of alcohol. So, if you drink water while you drink alcohol, and then drink a big glass at bedtime and more when you wake up, not only will you have your hydration concerns taken care of for diving, but you should also be less hungover as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom