Do You Help Fish & Game?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pook-60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Howdy

Just curious...do you help your local Fish & Game department by helping them understand what you're seeing below the surface?

I've relocated (yet another move) to an area with fresh water reservoirs and I'm trying to find a way to make my diving more productive than just my personal enjoyment/growth. I thought this may be a way.

TX
Dane

Do you mean as in what type of fish and bottom life you see?

There are those recreational divers who do help, but most belong to a dive op dedicated to such. I'm sure you can find at least one government, aquarium, and/or scientific dive op who are probably looking for many volunteer divers. Best to contact one in your local area if you really want to help.

There's specific methods and techniques to doing counts for a population survey for both fish and bottom life.

Fish are especially tricky, because if you stay in an area for too long, you will attract some fish while scaring others. It's easy for the presence of a noise making scuba apparatus to bias the data.
Fish transects in my area for PISCO and UCSC sci diving ops require constant movement along a straight line and following a roughly constant depth contour while counting every fish you see. If you don't keep a constant pace, there's a good chance you won't get an accurate count, because fish can hear you even before you see them. If you can't keep an accurate count during your pace, then the data's not accurate.
It's very task loading and not fun at all.
I'm sure other ops follow a similar method.

Substrate and invert surveys are a bit easier, but still very task loading orientated. Unless you plan on making a career or are just stoked about the dirty field work, I would look into volunteering with an aquarium as your first choice.

*PISCO = Partnership for Interdisciplinary Studies of Coastal Oceans
West Coast based scientific dive op. Lead by researchers from multiple university campuses.

some places make trash collecting useful for there diving, hauling old junk out of the muck. I know in New London,CT there is a trash dives off some of the state piers. If you are really industrious you could contact the localm fire department and find out about joining them and getting trained in one of the search and rescue groups. then you would have an excuse to go out and muck around for a valuable community service.

Howdy

Just curious...do you help your local Fish & Game department by helping them understand what you're seeing below the surface?

I've relocated (yet another move) to an area with fresh water reservoirs and I'm trying to find a way to make my diving more productive than just my personal enjoyment/growth. I thought this may be a way.

TX
Dane

I got a mesh bag and I have taken to dragging trash out of the local lake. I find old tin Schlitz cans and Kahlua Fish all the time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom