Do you like to find things underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OKay -- now that I've got my eyes reasonably open, here's a picture of the pocket watch and peuter fork/spoon I found. Wish I had a pic of the lantern holder and fire hose fitting, too, but I don't. Maybe next time I'm up in Virginia I'll stop by Lynnhaven and get a pic of them, too.

http://www.learn-scuba.com/images/treasure1.jpg

Gilligan once bubbled...
Even though I take my camera on almost every dive I always keep my eye peeled for anything out of the ordinary. I have found ammunition, a canteen and a flashlight on some of the small WWII military wrecks here.Click Here for Photos and stumbled upon a bottle that turns out to be from the Ghirardeli Chocolate Company when they were in the spice business. A bottle expert tells me it is from the 1860's
Click Here for Photo

:shades:

Thats pretty cool Gilligan! Perused some other photos on your site too.. quite the photographer! :)

Granted I don't expect to find many pieces of 8 as previously mentioned since I dive north of the 49th.

Definitely keep eyes peeled for stuff on bottom though since there's not much coral or pretty coloured fish to watch. Wreck dives are considered a Treasure Dive, not because I take stuff off them, but because it provides treasures for my imagination.

No reason to throw away hubby yet, he might cross over to your side if he comes across something he considers cool.

Good Luck!
Dave

Has anyone ever seen/used an underwater metal detector?
I've heard of such a thing but that's about it...

Managed to drop a catch bag full of my mates' gear when surfacing recently. My only excuse is that it was hailing at the time which was distracting. On another dive ages ago I also dropped my prescription mask over the side.

Back to the topic of finding treasures though, where does everyone draw the line at what to take/leave? Most of the mentioned don't belong underwater anyway, but I'm interested in how many divers out there consider taking the 'natural' finds they may come across, such as shells and the like.

natural stuff?

I only take if its dead and not a critters home. I have returned seashells to the ocean after getting them home to see a crab inside.

I guess I'm just not very lucky. All I ever find are weights and fishing lures. I did find a spear once but it was broken.

Back
Top Bottom