Do you log ‘gear test’ dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree on all points. It's still early in the thread though. For some reason the "What should I log?" topic tends to draw a crowd each time. Case in point, my post now.

The usual subjects.

Bob

I did a dive yesterday to test a new (to me) regulator I rebuilt. It ended up being a short dive because visibility was really bad. I was technically underwater on SCUBA for a few minutes but I definitely don’t want to ‘pad’ my dives... I particularly dislike when people brag about how many dives the’ve done, and then you find out the number isn’t really legit.

What do you do?

Part of this is that I want to take training that requires 100 dives. I know it’s up to me what I log but I’m interested to hear what others do. I was only at 9 feet yesterday which hardly felt like a ‘dive’, but at the same time I learned about a dive site and visibility, got more practice with shore entries, and had the unknown of a newly rebuilt reg.

I’m getting close to 100 dives now. I think my logbook got water logged, because it’s getting really hard to pull out of the drawer.

Hey man

So as you have been attaining the massive milestone of your One Hundredth Dive, toot toot toot toot toot toot congratulations by the way, have you ingratiated yourself with the people you intend doing the course with, done dives with and received air fills from them, shown that your proficiency already surpasses the 100 dive count, so that prerequisite no longer applies to you, and mostly have you prepared and do you feel capable and confident enough to complete your course to the satisfaction of all and sundry but mostly to the satisfaction of yourself

Cool.

Does anyone know what a 100 dive diver does

Does anyone know what a 100 dive diver does[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not up here. Though I guess it could be done when the water and air is at it's warmest.

Well fortunately I've been doing my dive logs in batches. I'll make sure not to look for another 6 dives or so...

I log most if not all of them, I may not count them.
Logged and counted:
- Regular dives. Anything without a decent SI is a single dive
- Aborted dives that included actual diving. No hard rules on depth or time.
- Deep pool dives (we take our students to a deep (10m) pool as their first dive before taking them into open water)
- Tank dive (not medical, just one)

Logged:
- pool dives of note (new gear, playing with trim, and so on)
- Dives abonded before or at the start of the dive, if of note

Not logged:
- Pool dives

I log everything except any pool dives. A pool is a pool. I haven't been in one since I "retired" from DMing. I may have posted that before.
I don't log "equipment" dives because I don't do them. I've basically had the same old crap the whole 13 years.

I log everything but I log them as pool training time:
  • They are flagged as training time
  • The water type is flagged as pool
If someone was to ask me for the purpose of minimum requirements how many dives I have done, I would not count pool dives.

If a DM would ask me how many dives I have done, I would reply: 22, that includes 10 training dives for certifications. Also 10 of the dives were in quarries, the rest were done at sea.

I did a dive yesterday to test a new (to me) regulator I rebuilt. It ended up being a short dive because visibility was really bad. I was technically underwater on SCUBA for a few minutes but I definitely don’t want to ‘pad’ my dives... I particularly dislike when people brag about how many dives the’ve done, and then you find out the number isn’t really legit.

What do you do?

Log whatever you like. The advantage to logging it are that you have a record of when you tested out that reg after you rebuilt it, which is information that could be valuable to you in the future.

Your logbook is for you, not for anyone else. If anyone really really cares about how many dives you've done, or want you to really care how many dives they've done... good indication they're not the kind of person you want to dive with.

There's a popular misconception that the number of dives someone has done is a direct indication of their ability to be a competent dive buddy.

There's a popular misconception that the number of dives someone has done is a direct indication of their ability to be a competent dive buddy.

Very good point.

Does one have a 100 dives, or 1 dive 100 times.

-Z

Dive logs are a joke for everyone but you. It is YOUR information and memories that you are logging. If you went someplace and had to have say 100 dives to take a class, the person teaching the class SHOULD know as soon as you are in the water if you are a 100 dive diver or a scrub that lied in a logbook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom