Do you really need gators for your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
During my drysuit certification, I never used ankle weights or gators, and the darn rental drysuit legs were a foot longer than my legs. Suit was made for someone that's 6' 5". hahahaha, that was a fun dive. Didn't have my legs fill up on me and pull me upside down.

Do you really need to have ankle weights or gators?

You can choose to use them, but you do not NEED them.

I've been contemplating picking some up. I have problems with air being trapped in my feet and then having a hard time dumping during ascents. It's not to the point where I end up feet first or anything, it just makes ascents a little difficult. Would gaitors help out in this situation?

Doof once bubbled...
I've been contemplating picking some up. I have problems with air being trapped in my feet and then having a hard time dumping during ascents. It's not to the point where I end up feet first or anything, it just makes ascents a little difficult. Would gaitors help out in this situation?
IMO, practice would help out in this situation, but your mileage may vary. I know people that use them and swear by them..

You don't need them but I like them now that I have them. If I forgot to take them I wouldn't worry much about it though they aren't something I feel I need they just are kind of nice to have.

Chad

I'm a relatively new Drysuit diver, so take this for what you will...

I didn't use gaiters at all initially. I started using gaiters and it did help prevent the feet from getting the "floaty" feeling that I got when I changed my attitude to head/upper torso slightly down trim positions for whatever reason. I would say that the floaty feeling was easily remedied once I finished the task at hand by re-adjusting my trim, so the gaiters, while helpful are not needed. I suppose that if I had better trim all times, and if I learned to do some actions without having to slightly invert, the gaiters would be totally useless.

From watching some people doing their drysuit checkout dives wearing gaiters, I am pretty certain that it won't help at all if the diver has major trim issues. If anyone gets into the situation that they are becoming feet-first bouyent/inverted, then practice is in order, not gaiters.

Since you are not becoming inverted,and only have some ascent/trapped air issues in the legs, I would suggest that simply more practice and a properly fitting suit would resolve the majority of your ascent issues.

Gaiters are a much better choice than ankle weights should you decide to get something. Why have a bouyency/trapped air problem that you offset with extra weight on the limbs that you move the most for propulsion (ankle weights) when you can eliminate the bouyency/trapped air problem to begin with (gaiters).

Gaitors are a significantly better solution than ankle weights..

As a new drysuit user, using an off-the-shelf drysuit that is cut a bit too large, I find gaiters/gators (sp?) useful. Having four layers of velcro sandwiching together, they're not liable to falling off like an ankle weight with a plastic clip sewn into fabric (which I've seen happen - the clip didn't break, the stitching gave way and the whole thing disintegrated). I've tried ankle weights a couple of times as short term workarounds for the times when "oh bugger the boat has only got aluminum tanks they told me they had steel", and while they keep you weighted, they tire your legs very quickly if you're not used to them.

Ankle weights merely counter the air in your legs/boots, gaiters keep it out to begin with. Hopefully my next suit will be a custom with a better fit that won't require either.

Basically what runvus4 said.

gaiters/gators (sp?)
Halcyon calls their gaitors "Gator Wraps" so a lot of people call them gators. Not sure what the other mfg. do, but in the skiing/snowboarding/climbing world they have always been called gaitors.

I will stick with the latter personally..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom