Do you use scuba signals with non divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do it with my kids all the time. They love the idea of a secret language, and the divers we hung out with on vacation loved it! My son especially likes signing "problem" and pointing to his sister.

The ok signal sneaks out all the time, but I really posted here to say hi to the 'other' racer x haha

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

I use them all the time, even at race track.

In my trucking job, we use a fair amount of hand signalling to fellow drivers and people watching security videos [no, not THOSE signals]. I have deliberately abandoned the 'thumbs up' signal for 'okay' and use the proper [diving] 'okay' exclusively. When I know a fellow diver is watching a cam, I'll use the 'big okay' [hand to head] signal, just for laughs...

Do it with my kids all the time. They love the idea of a secret language, and the divers we hung out with on vacation loved it! My son especially likes signing "problem" and pointing to his sister.

We also have a father/daughter secret language........... And she is only 7

Jon

I took my daughter (turning 10 in October) snorkeling over the holiday weekend and taught her signals while we looked for fish - I was thrilled that she picked up almost all of them immediately, especially since she is already asking when she can get certified so we can dive together. :)

I can't say I've done it on land yet, but I'm still a newbie.... There is hope!

Some dive hand signals and others that apply to my job. The shrimp hatchery has high pitched air blowers running and water splashing in tanks etc. so it's hard to hear sometimes

A both hands going up in the "what?" signal followed by both fists up to my eyes, thumb first means, "did you check the larvae under the microscope"?
A hand to the ears during packing and shipping means, "listen to the oxygen bottle" to see if it's flowing.

Lots of stuff like that. Most of my staff could pass the hand signal part of an ow exam. :D

I was at a dull party once, and I asked my wife if we could go, and she told me "not just yet".

About 15 minutes later I signalled across the room "We're going into deco".

Hahaha, I was giving the OK all week in Coz last week... waiters, bartenders, other staff, fellow invaders. Thought it was pretty funny myself actually!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom