Do you want to be a better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive from time to time with some GUE Cave/Tech divers from the Hartford area. I'm not a natural at this, and it's very frustrating to me how slowly I'm coming along, although I am improving.

Lots of us are not a natural at this. I'm not ... TSandM is not either (and I don't think she'd mind me saying so) ... some people just have to work harder than others at becoming better at certain things.

It really boils down to your goals. Some folks are perfectly happy being underwater tourists ... and that's all they will ever want or need to be. And as long as their skills are up to keeping them safe in the environments in which they dive, that's quite OK.

Others constantly want to push their limits. For some, no matter how good they get, it'll never be "good enough". For them, the challenge of improvement IS the enjoyment they get from diving. And for them, that's quite OK.

For me it's more about effort than skill ... I may do some things half-assed, but I never do anything half-hearted. As long as there's a goal for me to pursue, I'm happy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I want to be better-no doubt about it. I have 2 - 3 more classes on my radar that I want to do and I need more time in the water with the right people.

I'm not sure what a "better diver" is other than I'm fairly sure it is not just a thicker stack of C-cards. In my case, I have no interest in tech, becoming a dive "professional", or colder water. I would not mind a rescue course but they seem to pile on (and charge for) stuff I don't want like CPR and O2 provider.

As a learner holiday diver, I go to the pool with the local club ( available 20 sessions per year max),but there is only so much possible in 3-5 ft. of water.At least my mask clearing & buoyancy have improved! I want to be a safe "holiday" diver with good SAC rate & buddy skills, I enjoy swim -throughs & looking at the different fish in cave entrances, but at my age have no inclination to get into "technical diving". I got my kicks with climbing 50 years ago.

Well...after 15 years of diving all over the world with 500+ dives i thought that i knew it all...then i took the PADI IDC and IE and boy did i learn to be a better diver, safer and more alert. I have learned that i did not know it all and am a much better diver for it. What a great experience to go thru; albeit, it was a painful process and humbling too. i do not think that i will do much teaching the the instructor credential but i would be your best buddy in the ocean now.

Yes - with a passion! I have just started this wondeful journey! I don't know where it will take me, but I find myself wanting to improve daily, be it by actual diving, taking classes, reading anything I can get my hands on and hanging around with fellow divers, including here in SB. I don't even care about the peak (tech, trimix, cave, wreck), it's the journey that matters. Each dive, each class, each new piece of knowledge and information to be processed, each small "personal victory" learning a skill or improving on it, that's what it's all about, as far as I'm concerned. I want to come back from each dive in one piece, having had tons of fun and the feeling that I surfaced a better diver than I was before.

Lots of us are not a natural at this. I'm not ... TSandM is not either (and I don't think she'd mind me saying so)

Oh, my goodness, no! Anybody who has read the journal of my open water class knows that!

I think I'm a bit in the group with the people who find the challenge of improving to be part of the fun. But I don't think working on improving means you don't enjoy the dives you are currently doing, because I certainly do. But watching my buddy slither through something without touching a thing, when my unruly fins insist on whacking stuff, is an inspiration to work harder.

I have always wanted that. From my OW class, I knew my skills weren't what they should be. ... But I have dived with people who are completely happy with where they are as a diver. They can do everything they want to do, and they're comfortable, and that's all they need. Where do you fall on the spectrum?
Unfortunately, I fall in the former end of the spectrum. Possibly, that is because I was such a poor diver (they didn't call me 'siltboy' for nuthin') to begin with - possibly still am. But, every dive becomes a training dive. Yes, I enjoy most of them, even when I do something stupid, although I relive the 'stupid' as much as the 'fun' sometimes too often. But, even when I am enjoying warm water, beautiful fish, colorful coral, I find myself practicing buoyancy, working on finning technique, whatever. On the positive side, I guess maybe that's all I need, or what I want, to get out of diving, so it is OK.

Back
Top Bottom