Do you wear a wetsuit in the Cancun area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived there in Sept and December and the 3 mil full was perfect for me. I rent a 7 mil when doing the cenotes. Have fun!

Thanks. I'm trying to decide if I should throw my 5mm in my suitcase. I might do it if it will fit. It's actually a size too small I think so I'm not super keen on it :)

A 5mm would be fine for a cenote excursion, but may be overkill depending on the water temps. My son and I usually dive with tshirt and swimming trunks the majority of the time. Only donned a 3mil for the cenote trip.

You'll love Ben and Jorge. Great guys to dive with and great guys to party with. Try La Parilla downtown. Nice place.

Choice of wetsuit thickness seems really mixed. I'm packing the 3mm and hoping for the best. I'm a weird size (a bigger girl, so women's wetsuits usually don't go big enough, but a man's XL suit is too long in a lot of places) so I own my own :)

1/2 mill full & 3 mill shortie ,boots & hood or beenie fingerless gloves if out of the preserve. unseen jellyfish tenicalls , sun exposure, and minor temp conciderations particularly on 2nd dive & nite dives.
Jerry b

Weather is getting cold last few days, on november you should expect 81 F (sea water temperature) and 75 (Cenotes fresh water temperature). 3 mm should be enough in ocean dives but Cavern Diving 5 mm or a 3mm shorty added to your long 3 mm wetsuit is strongly recommended.
Anyway if you dont want to spend money in a new wetsuit most of diveshops will provide you and extra 3 mm shorty to wear with your 3 mm wetsuit. Remember Cenotes water temperature is 75 but you get cold easily, however is a must in the area

Have a nice trip, you may be interested in further information in our website.

DiveMayanCenotes

What's it like now? We're headed down there in just a few days. Seems like it will be ok, assuming the temperature doesn't change too awful much around the year?

Taking a 3mm with a 5/3 hooded gold core warmer just in case. Last year by the 3rd day I was glad to have the hood. We will be there on the 11th of January.

Just finishing up a week diving in Cozumel. Bottom temps pretty consistently 78-79, from 30' to 70'. I wore a 3 mil and was fine, as did my girlfriend who gets cold easily, and she was fine as well.

Folks wearing 3 mil shorties were chilly. Dive masters wore hoods, but they're locals and hate the cold. Saw no hoods among tourist divers and heard no complaints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom