Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Specifically, I was wondering if an HPNS-resistant superathlete might appear someday...

Perhaps there is, but what value would exist in that? HPNS isn't the root problem, bottom times measured in seconds is. A single diver can't accomplish anything worth risking their lives for in that time. Contrast that against what a ROV (Remote Operated Vehicle) can accomplish during a fraction of the total bottom time and overall cost. Finding a pill that cured HPNS and Compression Arthralgia would not make deep bounce dives a useful tool in the military, commercial, or scientific diving segments.

Putting their lives at high risk for bragging rights might be acceptable for immature adolescent males with too much alcohol onboard, but I hope everyone here is beyond that. If not, I guess that is what Darwin is for.

I don't know where they came up with that headline; the family is clearly grief-stricken and upset with the newspaper but they didn't blame them for Dr. Garman's death. My sympathies for Dr. Garman's family and friends.

Grief-Stricken Son Of Failed Diver Blames Online Newspaper For His Father's Death - Virgin Islands Free Press

September 22, 2015

John McCarthy

CHRISTIANSTED – The family of the medical doctor who died attempting a world record deep dive on St. Croix has been having a difficult time coming to grips with the death of their family member more than a month after it occurred, the Virgin Islands Free Press has learned.

Kip Garman, the son of Guy Garman who apparently died while diving off of the North Shore of Christiansted on August 15, wrote to the Virgin Islands Free Press Monday afternoon to express his anguish over the family’s loss.

“I live with my fathers [sic] death every day of my life,” Kip Garman wrote on the VI Freep’s website at 4:31 p.m. September 21. “Not a day goes by that I do not feel immense pain.”

A popular St. Croix musician contacted the Virgin Islands Free Press about one week ago saying that “the family of Dr. Garman” is upset with the online newspaper’s coverage of Doc Deep’s death.

The publisher of the Virgin Islands Free Press again expressed heartfelt condolences to the family of Guy Garman at that time and explained that the online newspaper has not reported on the death since Doc Deep’s body was recovered by government officials August 20.

“You better tell the publisher to watch out, if you catch my drift,” the musician told an employee of the VI Freep.

The musician continued in a threatening manner saying that the online newspaper never should have reported that Ed Buckley, the owner of St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures who expedited Garman’s dive — had been drinking champagne mimosas on the Christiansted boardwalk one day after the doctor died. Doing so was “bullsh–,” he added.

A worker for the Virgin Islands Free Press explained to the unemployed man that it was another newspaper that had first published that information, and that Buckley himself admitted in a Facebook chatroom to drinking mimosas on the boardwalk after Garman’s death, but said at the time that he wasn’t enjoying himself while he was doing so.

“No one at the Virgin Islands Free Press ever played a role in Dr. Guy Garman’s life or death — and nothing has changed in that regard,” VI Freep publisher John McCarthy said. “While we have nothing but the deepest sympathy for the family in their continuing time of grief, it is our considered opinion that the people responsible for Dr. Garman’s death should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”

Kip Garman was not only on the fateful dive with his father, but he was at one time employed by St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures — which bills itself as the “No. 1 dive shop” on island, according to information on its website. Buckley’s company was charged with ensuring a safe dive for Garman.

“I appreciate everyone in the comments voicing their opinion of this absolute bullsh–,” Kip Garman wrote to the VI Freep yesterday. “I see why you work for such a half-bit piss poor gossip cite [sic] as this Mr. Mccarthy.”

...it is our considered opinion that the people responsible for Dr. Garman’s death should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.

Seems to me the person responsible is dead, making that a non-issue.

Buckley’s company was charged with ensuring a safe dive for Garman.

There's a lot wrong with that statement.

Richard.

I think it would only have been released if it were worthy of a "snoopy dance of joy".

Obviously the diver is dead and anything they release about the planning will be subject to severe criticism from fellow divers.

R..

I think it would only have been released if it were worthy of a "snoopy dance of joy".

Obviously the diver is dead and anything they release about the planning will be subject to severe criticism from fellow divers.

R..
My feeling is we won't hear another peep out of anyone.
This was a major embarrassment to the world of diving and they know it.

...it is our considered opinion that the people responsible for Dr. Garman’s death should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.
Seems to me the person responsible is dead, making that a non-issue.
Probably the most cogent statement in this entire conversation.

Have we seen ANY of the data relating to the planning and execution of this dive... which we were told would be released?
The first rule of Scuba Diving applies here my friend: Don't hold your breath! :D

If there's even serious contemplation of a potential lawsuit, people will likely have been told to keep quiet, right? They'll gain nothing through disclosure, & might in some unforeseen way undermine their case (on either side) later.

Richard.

I learned the first rule of scuba is Never Do Anything Stupid. It was a fatal error for a man trying to follow his dream. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know. He wasn't prepared and paid the ultimate price. Feel very sorry for his family.

Back
Top Bottom