Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Garman's body washed ashore? I don't recall specifics about how he was found previously...
I thought there was a report earlier in the thread saying that the Coast Guard "recovered the body". I assumed that meant it was recovered by pulling the line, but I'm sure I haven't seen anything that offered specifics.

The only thing I can find with a Google News search is the article quoted above (post #313 ) reporting that the wife says that the body was recovered "from the water".

Do we have any news about this incident? Has anybody seen the footage of his camera or the dive profile of his dive?

my guess is that we will never have any access to it. I hope that I will prove to be wrong :)

There really isn't much to tell. 4 months before the dive we predicted the outcome. What's important about this dive is to understand that diving with insufficient training and experience to 1200ft is a bad idea. In general this dive serves as proof that diving WAY over your level of training and experience is risky at best.

There have been a couple of deaths recently and this is one that was expected, predicted and completely unsurprising. That doesn't make it any less painful and bitter to his friends and loved ones but to the community as a whole it registered pretty much as a non-event.

R..

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 02:49 PM ----------

BTW, I should mention that it's worth your time to read back through this thread. There are actually a couple of people on Scubaboard with real-life experience at these depths -- Akimbo in particular -- and their speculation about what could have happened is as close as we'll probably ever get to having answers.

R..

What's important about this dive is to understand that diving [-]with insufficient training and experience[/-] to 1200ft is a bad idea.
I fixed it for you...

...HydrOx mixtures I am aware of are used to reduce WOB (Work of Breathing) on very deep dives, which 1200' isn’t. Oxygen levels are usually well below 1% on the work I have seen. Basically the atomic mass of Hydrogen is 1.00794 amu (atomic mass unit), Helium is 4.002602 amu, and Nitrogen is 14.00674 amu. WOB is more or less proportional as you go deeper. Reducing Nitrogen probably provides more reduction in WOB at these depths than adding a small percentage of Hydrogen.
Note that to compare WOB for different gases, you need to compare their molecular masses (or molecular weights), not atomic masses. Because helium gas is monoatomic, there's no difference. However, for diatomic gases like hydrogen and nitrogen, the molecular mass is twice that of the atomic mass.

The molecular mass for diatomic hydrogen gas (i.e. H2) is 2.016 amu, and the molecular mass for diatomic nitrogen gas (i.e. N2) is 28.014 amu.

Note that to compare WOB for different gases, you need to compare their molecular masses (or molecular weights), not atomic masses. Because helium gas is monoatomic, there's no difference.

H2: 2
He: 4

It's still a 100% (or 50%, depending on which way you count) difference.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Note that to compare WOB for different gases, you need to compare their molecular masses (or molecular weights), not atomic masses. Because helium gas is monoatomic, there's no difference. However, for diatomic gases like hydrogen and nitrogen, the molecular mass is twice that of the atomic mass.

The molecular mass for diatomic hydrogen gas (i.e. H2) is 2.016 amu, and the molecular mass for diatomic nitrogen gas (i.e. N2) is 28.014 amu.

H2: 2
He: 4

It's still a 100% (or 50%, depending on which way you count) difference.
Exactly. I meant there's no difference between the atomic mass of helium and the molecular mass of helium, because helium is a monoatomic gas.

To compare helium to hydrogen, then, you need to compare the molecular mass of helium (4 amu) to the molecular mass of hydrogen (2 amu). You can't use the atomic mass of hydrogen (1 amu) for the comparison, because hydrogen is a diatomic gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom