Doctor won't sign medical release. What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devon,

I can see some of your points but one bit of contention I have with your statement is in regards to the comment of my father "concealing" his injury. At no point did he conceal his physical condition, it was declared.

Ok, fair point.... which then puts the heat on his instructor for a huge break of standards for allowing him to start the course without a (professional) medical opinion.

Make sure your father understands (remembers) that scar tissue can pre-dispose DCS. Keep those dive plans extra conservative! :D

Ok, fair point.... which then puts the heat on his instructor for a huge break of standards for allowing him to start the course without a (professional) medical opinion.

Make sure your father understands (remembers) that scar tissue can pre-dispose DCS. Keep those dive plans extra conservative! :D

Woa...didn't know having scar tissue pre-disposes someone to DCS. I honestly don't think he knows, I will be sure to keep that in mind and let him know. Thanks for the warning!

Woa...didn't know having scar tissue pre-disposes someone to DCS. I honestly don't think he knows, I will be sure to keep that in mind and let him know. Thanks for the warning!

Scar tissue/reduced vascularity MAY contribute to DCS, it does not predispose one to DCS. There are volumes out there on reduced vascularity in tssue; it woul be safer to act as though the predisposition exists. Use higher O2 mixes, conservative dives well within NDL limits on air tables, slow acensions...

Do you understand why?

R..

Well I would say it has something to do with Scar tissue being a lot more dense, and less vascular. Because of these two characteristics it doesn't off gas as quickly as other tissues, trapping in gas'.

But that is only a guess!

There is some research and books on this. Blood flow etc. Pre-dispose? No, increase risk, yes.
In the HSA training we are taught when calculating your dive tables you add at least 10 feet to your actual planned profile for this reason. If diving a computer setting it to a P1 profile in effect adds 10 feet to its calculations.

Since he wont sign it due to the fused back, you may want to get the second opinion from an orthopedist (specialty in bones). Then have him report back to your doctor the findings. Otherwise the medical review is there for your (your father's) protection and the training organizations protection. Don't keep on trying to find a doctor who will just sign it off because there may be good reason for their concern.

Consider what Micheal Jackson did to get around his medical problems and what the end result was!

I know a scuba instructor who has a very sever back injury -- he was run over by a snow plow (the big truck kind).

He says the only time he isn't in pain is when he's in the water.

UPDATE:

If he slipped and fell while carrying scuba, he would be hurt I am sure. He is over 50 years of age, so lets hope he doesn't fall.

WOW! That's really old. I didn't think people that old were allowed to scuba dive, much less go near the water, unless their family put them on an ice floe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom