Doctor won't sign medical release. What to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's another vote for scuba diving being beneficial to those with back injuries. I have arthritis developed from a cracked vertebrae (snowboarding accident), and as soon as I hit the water, it all goes away. It feels so good. And that feeling lasts for a day or two, sometimes more, afterwards.

I do dive with a freedom plate and simple harness, which allows the tank to snug up VERY close to my spine/center of gravity, so even surface hikes are not that big of a deal to me.

Each person's physiology is different, however, and the appropriate precautions should be taken. Don't take injuries lightly.

Dude, think about Dad's fused spine doing a back roll off a boat 6 feet off the water...

So you don't do a back roll off a boat 6 feet above the water, giant stride, or enter the water and put your gear on their. This is not hard and we do it all the time.

I have 3 vertabre fused. I have no problems doing a giant stride into the water. I will admit that a backroll from 6' above could be a problem but not sure, never tried it. I will say that it took about a year after the surgery before things actually felt right most of the time. Diving (in warm water) seems to just make things feel even better!

Go to an actual "diving physician". I see you are in Oregon. We have very good diving doctor here in Seattle. Along with his dive medicine practice and duties at the University of Washington, he has a regular Family Practice clinic, so making an appointment shouldn't be too much of an issue. see: CV for Dr. Edmond Kay

Isn't back roll part of OW class?
I know I had to demonstrate one when I took the class.

Depends on who your instructor is and what certification agency you are using. Adaptive diving as taught by HSA, certifies the diver but does adapt to accommodate their situation (paralysis, fused vertebrae etc).

Nope. The instructor has to teach "an appropriate deep water entry".

Back roll is only the most appropriate for certain types of boats. If there is a suitable step or platform available, then the 'giant stride' entry is more appropriate.

It was in my class. However NOT from 6'.

There's another angle to consider. I, and I'm sure others, wouldn't want to be dive buddies with your dad, because if something happens to me, I have no hope that your dad would be able to help me.

I certainly sympathize with you, as my own dad cannot dive due to ear problems, so diving is not something we'll ever be able to share. I love diving very much, but I love my dad even more, and it's better for the whole family to not put his health at risk any more than old age already does.

Back
Top Bottom