Does A BP/Wing really push you face down at the surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A BP/W holds you perfectly horizontal underwater. It is essential to use this device if you want to have good trim. When you reach the surface, the BP/W no longer functions in this manner and it holds you upright and comfortable with your head out of the water.. just the same as a well designed BC.

This should be intuitively obvious to anyone who has worn a PFD. In order to be supported at the surface in a safe position, you want all your bouyancy on your back. :D:D:D

Ignore DD, he's just trying to start a flame war again.

Go back to snorkeling in your bathtub DD. :no:

it does not need to be overinflated to push someone forward. That seems to be a common myth but not true.

I've had this discussion too many times, especially with someone who told me he only wants to buy one wing so he uses a 90 pounder! And yes, with a 90 lb wing, fully inflated on the surface, it will push you over onto your face!

The answer to this question, as to so many in diving, is "It depends." And it depends on:

a. Type of BP;
b. Type/size of wing;
c. Type/size of tank;
d. Type/size of everything else on you; and
e. Amount of gas pumped into the wing.

Can I setup my BP/W so that it will float me on my face? Yes I can.

Can I setup my BP/W so that it will NOT float me on my face? Yes I can.

It depends.....

it does not need to be overinflated to push someone forward. That seems to be a common myth but not true.

Absolutely wrong!

Show me one, ONE person, with a properly inflated BC of any type pushed face forward in the water. A properly inflated BC is just enough to keep you head clear of the water. Anything more than that is over inflated.

If you've been shopping around you may have noticed a lot of the new BCDs are back inflate, not wrap around jackets. Any of these can have a tendency push you forward a little since they are lifting from the back. But don't sweat it. Once you try it you'll wonder what all the hubbub was about. Dive your way and be happy and safe.

New Diver here looking to make my first gear purchase. I decided to investigate @ BP/W. Loved the feel, pack-ability, & versatility. I really don't like the restricted feel of a jacket. I visited several dive shops & received kudos for my choice at all but one. Other than the speech about it being "Tech Gear" he felt that at the surface the back inflate tended to push you face down. No one who used the gear themselves mentioned it. It seems to me that under full inflate it may exert minimal pressure forward if the center of gravity of the tank was centered on the wing. From what little have seen the C.O.G of the tank is lower than the center of lift of the wing, therefore balance the lift. Does this make sense? Since jacket BC's tend to make me lean back my guess is that a BP/W should make me float either vertical or maybe a little forward. As long as it would keep the wearers face out of the water in an unconscious diver scenario i'm OK with it. I would like to hear from the minions of BP/W users here who have helped me so far............................Thanks

Im not sure where this misconception comes from bit I hear it all the time. Usually from people who have never tried a BP/W or tried it once and didnt get on with it. Heres my opinion in particular order:

-Some older 'rec tec' style systems had oversized wings and soft backplates. The Zeagle Ranger comes to mind. I often used to see divers over inflating oversized wings on the surface - this will push you forward as its like putting a life raft on your back.

-Proper fit = good buoyancy and trim. You will struggle to get properly trimmed in an ill fitting rig.

-Jacket BC's rarely fit correctly. You can easily adjust waist size, but you cant change the cut and stitched material that forms the shoulder area from your back, over the shoulder to the chest. This is area is crucial for a good fit. Same problem with soft harnesses as backplates with stitched shoulder 'bananas'. They look adjustable, but theres not much you can do.

-30lb wing is plenty for single cylinders up to around 100cuft. You simply dont need as much lift as is provided on some of these rigs.

- A simple steel or aluminum backplate with a nice clean wing, tank adapter and uncluttered webbing will do nicely. Halcyon, DeepSeaSupply, Oxycheq etc.

- When at the surface, I like my head just under or right at the surface. I keep my reg in and can easily see divers below me, other divers on the tag line & ladder, the crew on the boat and more importantly - I can see if the prop is turning.

Last edited:
Does A BP/Wing really push you face down at the surface?

No more true than saying "a bike crashes you into a wall" or "a baseball bat hits you in the head."

Used correctly, you won't have a problem.

I have personally experienced my rear-inflate BC "pushing me forward" at the surface of the water. Upon inspection I determined that it was in fact my weights "pulling me forward" as the weights were distributed mostly in front of me and not behind me. Moving the weights around on my belt solved the problem - now I can bob at the surface in either BP or BC, both of which are rear-inflate.

Many divers have way to much weight on their belt because they never take the time to determine the proper weight they need. With to much weight on the front side of their waist and then inflate the bladder you could end up feeling like it's pushing you face downward.

Absolutely wrong!

Show me one, ONE person, with a properly inflated BC of any type pushed face forward in the water. A properly inflated BC is just enough to keep you head clear of the water. Anything more than that is over inflated.

Blanket statements like this indicate either a lack of understanding of basic physics, or limited experiences, if not both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom