Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...the other thing that clouds the issue, is that while a SP dealer cannot give you more than 10%....often they will throw in "non-SP" other purchases for "free" which is like creative financing but keeps their noses clean, technically.

I believe that a well known dealer here just made the same comment that Frank is alluding to ... that they can't advertise a price, but that does not mean that you can't talk to him and get it for lower

Scubatoys is no longer a Scubapro dealer.

Perhaps the real question is warranty. Every savvy buyer knows he can call or email for the best price available. MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) is just the advertised price not the selling price. But the warranty is a real issue if the manufacturer will not support the product if it malfunctions or breaks. All manufacturers honor warranties issued thru Authorized Dealers. Whether the product was purchased online or instore, only Authorized Dealers can sell product covered by the manufacturer's warranty. All the manufacturers state this in their advertising and in their warranties.

The first question a buyer should ask himself is do I want to purchase this equipment without a valid manufacturer's warranty. What will the savings be worth if the equipment is defective and the "warranty is useless"? How much lower than the MAP can the product be purchased from an Authorized Dealer with full manufacturer's support? Is the difference worth it?

And now for the BIG QUESTION: If the online seller doesn't get the product from the manufacturer what happens to the broken and defective stuff? Does it get "fixed" and back on the shelf for the next order? Since it can't go back to the manufacturer for replacement like it does from the dealer, does it go in the trash? Doubtful. Is it offloaded on Ebay as used or as is? Then it is only one step removed from the seller. In other words, an unauthorized dealer is only one step above used or useless. Compare the price range on Amazon for "13 Items Used and New". I don't buy used books. I just can't accept the possibility of finding something disgusting stuck to one of the pages by the previous reader...let alone something I might depend on for my life, my wife or my kids. If its used, not brand new, was defective, or otherwise less than perfect, I should expect to pay less, not return it and not be covered by the original warranty.

The Authorized Dealer's customer will always win in the long run because the Authorized Dealer plays by the rules of the end game.

Splitlip:
Scubatoys is no longer a Scubapro dealer.
Hmm, then there would be no MAP to worry about if it was a scubapro item ... this must have been something else

I think that is the bottom line, do you want the manufacturers warranty .. I know many have said that LP's warr. is good, maybe just as good .. but in light of the fact that with some effort on your part, and a store that cares for your business, you can get a good price, and still have the full man. warr. from an authorized dealer .. I think that buying something expensive, it is just prudent to do so

You are correct, LP is not an authorized Scubapro dealer. The majority of the items they have are bought on the grey market in Europe or Asia. LP does provide "same as factory warranty", which would be all right if you lived in the NYC area, but not so hot if you live anywhere else. I wouldn't want to be dependent on LP for my equipment warranty. :palmtree: Bob

Splitlip:
I doubt that. I believe it is you who are wrong my friend. LP is NOT an authorized dealer. If an authorized dealer discounts more than 10% on Scubapro they will loose their dealership. Perhaps you are dealing with unauthorized dealers (no lifetime warranty and no parts for life). Or perhaps discontinued items. If something is no longer in the catalogue, the dealer can move.
Otherwise, PM me with the name of your SP dealer. I prepared to drop a grand for my kid in the next couple of weeks. I will gladly admit I am wrong.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Perhaps the real question is warranty. Every savvy buyer knows he can call or email for the best price available. MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) is just the advertised price not the selling price. But the warranty is a real issue if the manufacturer will not support the product if it malfunctions or breaks. All manufacturers honor warranties issued thru Authorized Dealers. Whether the product was purchased online or instore, only Authorized Dealers can sell product covered by the manufacturer's warranty. All the manufacturers state this in their advertising and in their warranties.

The first question a buyer should ask himself is do I want to purchase this equipment without a valid manufacturer's warranty. What will the savings be worth if the equipment is defective and the "warranty is useless"? How much lower than the MAP can the product be purchased from an Authorized Dealer with full manufacturer's support? Is the difference worth it?

And now for the BIG QUESTION: If the online seller doesn't get the product from the manufacturer what happens to the broken and defective stuff? Does it get "fixed" and back on the shelf for the next order? Since it can't go back to the manufacturer for replacement like it does from the dealer, does it go in the trash? Doubtful. Is it offloaded on Ebay as used or as is? Then it is only one step removed from the seller. In other words, an unauthorized dealer is only one step above used or useless. Compare the price range on Amazon for "13 Items Used and New". I don't buy used books. I just can't accept the possibility of finding something disgusting stuck to one of the pages by the previous reader...let alone something I might depend on for my life, my wife or my kids. If its used, not brand new, was defective, or otherwise less than perfect, I should expect to pay less, not return it and not be covered by the original warranty.

The Authorized Dealer's customer will always win in the long run because the Authorized Dealer plays by the rules of the end game.

It does not take too much searching on this board to realize that Leisurepro's warrenty seems to work OK. So the suggestion of the "useless warrenty" would seem to be a red herring.

And on the issue of what happens to LP's defective goods; the manufacturer repairs or replaces them. But it will likely take a bit longer than a similar service from your LDS or authorized online dealer is the route back to the mfgr is the same as the supply route. Somewhere in LP's supply line is either the manufacturer, an authorized distributor, or an authorized retail dealer. The defective goods will go back thru that source and be repaired or replaced as appropriate.

I realize you are just trying to protect your turf. And this thread gave you an opportunity to take a shot at 2 of your biggest competitors: Leisurepro and Ebay. It was a cheap shot and not worthy of a credible online dealer. Ever wonder why you don't see Larry, Joe, or Phil posting such nonsense?

awap:
It does not take too much searching on this board to realize that Leisurepro's warrenty seems to work OK. So the suggestion of the "useless warrenty" would seem to be a red herring.

And on the issue of what happens to LP's defective goods; the manufacturer repairs or replaces them. But it will likely take a bit longer than a similar service from your LDS or authorized online dealer is the route back to the mfgr is the same as the supply route. Somewhere in LP's supply line is either the manufacturer, an authorized distributor, or an authorized retail dealer. The defective goods will go back thru that source and be repaired or replaced as appropriate.

It's been my experience that they just replace things on the spot.

I thought long & hard about purchasing a reg & computer from LP due to the various opinions expressed on this board. I decided to purchase from LP because their price enabled me to buy better products than what I could reasonably afford at a LDS. Yes, you have to return the reg to LP for warranty work but I would simply take the equipment to a LDS if I really could not wait for maintenance and or repairs. The equipment I received was brand new, was in the manufacturers' boxes & came with the requisite instructional booklets sealed in plastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom