Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a problem with LP the first time I bought from them. Both my brother and I purchased a SeaQuest Black Diamond BC, size Large.

We each saved $140 buy purchasing from LP.

However, when the BCs arrived, they *looked* different. After doing some research, it turns out I got a 2005 model, and my brother got a 2006 model. Both BCs were confirmed to be authentic. Both BCs were also brand new. The only differences in the vests were newer logo markings and the 2006 model had an addition purge valve on the right shoulder.

I called LP and they didn't have any more SeaQuests in stock, or they would have exchanged mine. Instead they gave me a $50 store credit. I was satisfied with this.

You seem confused about the returns. I am questioning where the returns to unauthorized dealers go without the manufacturer as source. It's rhetorical. They don't go the normal route of defective or broken product in the US. Back to the mfg for replacement to the retailer. Back on the shelf in new condition or removed from public sale.

Do not confuse me with anyone else. I am my own person and, as such, not concerned with the status quo. I mind my business and I speak my mind.

Authorized Dealers do not compete with unauthorized dealers. They compete with other Authorized Dealers on a level playing field. That is, one where warranty, price, service, dealer support and manufacturer's representation are all part of the equation.

frankc420:
I'm just telling you how most retail business works, when a MAP is involved. You don't have to believe me, you can continue to believe what the LDS tells you if you wish.

I cannot supply you with a LDS that will do like I said, there is only 1 DS near me and I don't do business with them.

I worked in retail for awhile and talked with alot of different types of manufacturers in that time and MAP works the same way with all of them so far... Only problem is if you get questioned about selling something below MAP, how do you explain it? If you have a super anal manufacturer w/o some kind of paperwork I guess it could backfire on the retailer.
Well, then since you worked in retail, I am sure you understand that "MAPS" have more to do with suppliers cooperative advertising policies with their retailers than they do with establishing a maximum allowable discount. **
Scubapro does it and Toyota does it.
Do you think the Scubapro discount is one of the great frauds being perpertrated on me and the rest of the American public?
As I have said many times. Every Scubapro product I have purchased since 2001, my LDS has beaten LP's price not by discounting the product (they can't), but by using incentives they CAN provide (gas fills, free charters, free valves, free Din adapters). I think if they could, it would have been easier to just say "we sell it cheaper". In fact I have gotten discontinued items, which they are permitted to discount, at their cost as an incentive. I have read a number of posts here where LP sold 1 and 2 year old products as the current model.
Edit: ** "Price Maintenance Agreement" was the term.Thanks Charlie. I had a brain fart.

awap:
The problem is that with Scubapro and Aqualung (Apeks) (and maybe others) MAP in fact means Minimum ALLOWED Price. They say they are protecting the value of their gear. And that minimum allowed retail price (exceptions allowed for key personnel) is 10% off MSRP. Dealers who violate the agreement are subject to lose their supply of merchandise. (If the agreement were legally binding, the mfgr should be able to sue the dealer!)
In most cases, price fixing is illegal.

MAP and resale price maintenance agreements are right on the fuzzy edge of violating the Sherman antitrust laws, and most companies tread very lightly when trying to [-]fix prices[/-], I mean, trying to maintain minimum advertised prices. Most enforcement of MAP and resale price maintenance is done by verbal strongarming and threats of no longer having the reseller as an authorized distributor, but a suit against a company for violating a price fixing scheme is unlikely.

tomgrogan:
I thought long & hard about purchasing a reg & computer from LP due to the various opinions expressed on this board. I decided to purchase from LP because their price enabled me to buy better products than what I could reasonably afford at a LDS. Yes, you have to return the reg to LP for warranty work but I would simply take the equipment to a LDS if I really could not wait for maintenance and or repairs. The equipment I received was brand new, was in the manufacturers' boxes & came with the requisite instructional booklets sealed in plastic.
Seems great short term. Seems like you got everything you should have gotten. Except a warranty.

Stu S.:
I went that route. The manufacturer uses the dealer as the repair center for warranty issues. The local dive shop I bought things from was not capable of making simple fixes on an octo or BC. No skill or motivation. Then they went out of business.

I had a problem with a computer. Leisure Pro sent me a brand new item off the shelf in exchange for my old one. I never missed a dive.

I don't consider this a game. I got tired of dealers playing games. This is my money and equipment. Leisure Pro is one of several dive merchants I trust.
Sorry you had the bad experience with your LDS. We are both. LDS 27 years and online Authorized Dealer since the beginning. Please let us know if we can help. We offer the real warranty.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Seems great short term. Seems like you got everything you should have gotten. Except a warranty.

Perhaps you missed this when you were researching the Leisurepro website: http://www.leisurepro.com/Downloads/Warranty.pdf

Today's Cryptoquote seems fitting: Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth. Inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. -Tryon Edwards

I've never bought anything from Leisure Pro but I have not heard anyone say they don't honor their in store warranty.

Splitlip:
Well, then since you worked in retail, I am sure you understand that "MAPS" have more to do with suppliers cooperative advertising policies with their retailers than they do with establishing a maximum allowable discount. **
Scubapro does it and Toyota does it.

Well, that's not how the system is 'supposed' to work, I would think that would fall close to, if not in, the price fixing category.

frankc420:
I would think that would fall close to, if not in, the price fixing category.
And that it does IMO as well. My point, it is the manufacturers and not the shop owner who fix the prices. One of Catherine's posts was quite prophetic.
And, the only ones I know for sure are SP and AL. Maybe Atomics. And that is why I suspect we will see some of the less "popular" brands coming into their own.

What are Joe and Larry stocking now? And Divers Direct?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom