Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Perhaps the real question is warranty. Every savvy buyer knows he can call or email for the best price available. MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) is just the advertised price not the selling price. But the warranty is a real issue if the manufacturer will not support the product if it malfunctions or breaks. All manufacturers honor warranties issued thru Authorized Dealers. Whether the product was purchased online or instore, only Authorized Dealers can sell product covered by the manufacturer's warranty. All the manufacturers state this in their advertising and in their warranties.

The first question a buyer should ask himself is do I want to purchase this equipment without a valid manufacturer's warranty. What will the savings be worth if the equipment is defective and the "warranty is useless"? How much lower than the MAP can the product be purchased from an Authorized Dealer with full manufacturer's support? Is the difference worth it?
My advice is that the potential buyer check what the real costs are, the “free parts for life” thing is often more than covered by the VERY EXPENSIVE yearly service costs, it’s often less expensive to have your gear services and pay for the parts than to avail yourself of the “free parts for life” come on.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
And now for the BIG QUESTION: If the online seller doesn't get the product from the manufacturer what happens to the broken and defective stuff? Does it get "fixed" and back on the shelf for the next order? Since it can't go back to the manufacturer for replacement like it does from the dealer, does it go in the trash? Doubtful. Is it offloaded on Ebay as used or as is? Then it is only one step removed from the seller. In other words, an unauthorized dealer is only one step above used or useless.
The logic of this argument escapes me, it sounds great and convincing till you parse it careful and then you realize that it is semantically empty unless you are buying something “as is.”

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Compare the price range on Amazon for "13 Items Used and New". I don't buy used books. I just can't accept the possibility of finding something disgusting stuck to one of the pages by the previous reader...let alone something I might depend on for my life, my wife or my kids. If its used, not brand new, was defective, or otherwise less than perfect, I should expect to pay less, not return it and not be covered by the original warranty.
I buy used book all the time, and I go to the library on a weekly basis and though I’ve been doing both for many decades I’ve yet to find “something disgusting stuck to one of the pages by the previous reader,” but perhaps we read different sorts of literature.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
The Authorized Dealer's customer will always win in the long run because the Authorized Dealer plays by the rules of the end game.
Frankly it is my experience that a diver who deals with a reputable and responsible “non-authorized” source usually wins in both the long and short run because they’re not playing in a game whose basic premise is that the shop is entitled to something just ‘cause its there.

---------------------------------------

As far as price fixing is concerned ScubaPro and NASDS got whacked by California under fair trade rules back in the 1970s. The current MSP is just the latest approach to a long tradition of skating on the thin edge of illegal price fixing.

tomgrogan:
I thought long & hard about purchasing a reg & computer from LP due to the various opinions expressed on this board. I decided to purchase from LP because their price enabled me to buy better products than what I could reasonably afford at a LDS. Yes, you have to return the reg to LP for warranty work but I would simply take the equipment to a LDS if I really could not wait for maintenance and or repairs. The equipment I received was brand new, was in the manufacturers' boxes & came with the requisite instructional booklets sealed in plastic.
DiversDiscountFlorida:
Seems great short term. Seems like you got everything you should have gotten. Except a warranty.
Just to be clear, I’ve never shopped at LP, in fact I can’t remember ever buying a piece of dive gear over the web or by phone. But I do resent what I see as your transparent attempt to obfusticate, you can stop with the lies, he got a warrantee, not the same one, maybe a better one, but one that suits his needs.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Sorry you had the bad experience with your LDS. We are both. LDS 27 years and online Authorized Dealer since the beginning. Please let us know if we can help. We offer the real warranty.
If I had to choose, I’d take the unreal warrantee:

STATEMENT OF LEISURE PRO LTD./LIMITED WARRANTY

Leisure Pro Ltd. warrants to the original purchaser that this equipment will be free from defects in
materials and workmanship for the same period offered by the manufacturer.
This warranty shall be limited to the repair adjustment and/or replacement at its option of defective parts free of charge except the cost of transportation to Leisure Pro Ltd. 42 West 18th Street. new york, NY 10011. Responsibility limited to actual cost of item.

When returning equipment for warranty service, all shipping and insurance charges must be prepaid and the warranty certificate should be enclosed with the proof of purchase. Please explain the problem encountered. Leisure Pro Ltd. will not be responsible for expenses or inconveniences, or consequential damages occasioned by equipment, or by breach of any expressed or implied warranty with respect thereto. Implied warranties on this item shall be in effect only for duration of the expressed warranty set forth above and after the expiration of such expresses warranty there shall be no warranties, expressed or
implied (including merchantability) on the product.
Limitations. This warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the equipment and does not apply in the following cases:
  1. If the equipment has been serviced by other than a certified center.
  2. Damage to the equipment due to mishandling, abuse, accident or not following operating instructions.
  3. INSTRUMENTS: Warranty does not extend to plastic gauge faces, rubber boots, HP Hoses, O-rings, Batteries, hose fitting corrosion, or chrome loss.
  4. REGULATORS: Warranty does not extend to LP hoses, swivel or hose end O-rings, mouthpieces, stress cracks due to spraying with aerosols, rubber deterioration due to excessive exposure or lack of maintenance, chrome loss, or corrosion.
  5. BUOYANCY COMPENSATORS: Warranty does not extend to abrasion, cuts or tears of rubber cover on LP inflator, hose end or quick disconnect o-rings, hose fitting corrosion or chrome loss, natural rubber UV degradation, punctures or cuts to the bladder material, or delamination due to exposure to chlorine, heat, or sunlight.
Unreal … I could live with that.

I just can't accept the possibility of finding something disgusting stuck to one of the pages by the previous reader

can't accept the possibility? now thats funny.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Sorry you had the bad experience with your LDS. We are both. LDS 27 years and online Authorized Dealer since the beginning. Please let us know if we can help. We offer the real warranty.

You are too late. I called your store about buying a shorty wetsuit, perhaps two years ago. The response I received was rude. What does that say for your customer service? Can customers count on the same response if they need help with equipment issues?

I have found satisfactory sources of dive gear. You had your chance and you blew it.

Thalassamania:
My advice is that the potential buyer check what the real costs are, the “free parts for life” thing is often more than covered by the VERY EXPENSIVE yearly service costs, it’s often less expensive to have your gear services and pay for the parts than to avail yourself of the “free parts for life” come on.

The logic of this argument escapes me, it sounds great and convincing till you parse it careful and then you realize that it is semantically empty unless you are buying something “as is.”

I buy used book all the time, and I go to the library on a weekly basis and though I’ve been doing both for many decades I’ve yet to find “something disgusting stuck to one of the pages by the previous reader,” but perhaps we read different sorts of literature.

Frankly it is my experience that a diver who deals with a reputable and responsible “non-authorized” source usually wins in both the long and short run because they’re not playing in a game whose basic premise is that the shop is entitled to something just ‘cause its there.

---------------------------------------

As far as price fixing is concerned ScubaPro and NASDS got whacked by California under fair trade rules back in the 1970s. The current MSP is just the latest approach to a long tradition of skating on the thin edge of illegal price fixing.

Just to be clear, I’ve never shopped at LP, in fact I can’t remember ever buying a piece of dive gear over the web or by phone. But I do resent what I see as your transparent attempt to obfusticate, you can stop with the lies, he got a warrantee, not the same one, maybe a better one, but one that suits his needs.

If I had to choose, I’d take the unreal warrantee:

STATEMENT OF LEISURE PRO LTD./LIMITED WARRANTY

Leisure Pro Ltd. warrants to the original purchaser that this equipment will be free from defects in
materials and workmanship for the same period offered by the manufacturer.
This warranty shall be limited to the repair adjustment and/or replacement at its option of defective parts free of charge except the cost of transportation to Leisure Pro Ltd. 42 West 18th Street. new york, NY 10011. Responsibility limited to actual cost of item.

When returning equipment for warranty service, all shipping and insurance charges must be prepaid and the warranty certificate should be enclosed with the proof of purchase. Please explain the problem encountered. Leisure Pro Ltd. will not be responsible for expenses or inconveniences, or consequential damages occasioned by equipment, or by breach of any expressed or implied warranty with respect thereto. Implied warranties on this item shall be in effect only for duration of the expressed warranty set forth above and after the expiration of such expresses warranty there shall be no warranties, expressed or
implied (including merchantability) on the product.
Limitations. This warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the equipment and does not apply in the following cases:
  1. If the equipment has been serviced by other than a certified center.
  2. Damage to the equipment due to mishandling, abuse, accident or not following operating instructions.
  3. INSTRUMENTS: Warranty does not extend to plastic gauge faces, rubber boots, HP Hoses, O-rings, Batteries, hose fitting corrosion, or chrome loss.
  4. REGULATORS: Warranty does not extend to LP hoses, swivel or hose end O-rings, mouthpieces, stress cracks due to spraying with aerosols, rubber deterioration due to excessive exposure or lack of maintenance, chrome loss, or corrosion.
  5. BUOYANCY COMPENSATORS: Warranty does not extend to abrasion, cuts or tears of rubber cover on LP inflator, hose end or quick disconnect o-rings, hose fitting corrosion or chrome loss, natural rubber UV degradation, punctures or cuts to the bladder material, or delamination due to exposure to chlorine, heat, or sunlight.
Unreal … I could live with that.
Nothing can replace the manufacturer's warranty behind the product when you need it. There is no way around the fact that the unauthorized dealer cannot offer that protection to the customer.

Stu S.:
You are too late. I called your store about buying a shorty wetsuit, perhaps two years ago. The response I received was rude. What does that say for your customer service? Can customers count on the same response if they need help with equipment issues?

I have found satisfactory sources of dive gear. You had your chance and you blew it.
Sorry your had the bad experience. Perhaps you called someone else by mistake. If it was us, I apologize and hope you will give us another chance. Everyone has bad days and we are all human which implies imperfection at best.

daniel f aleman:
No fake stuff - your LDS knows it.

Yes, we all know it. The very strong LDS/e-commerce stores such as
www.scuba.com, www.scubatoys.com, www.divesports.com, and others, waste no time talking about "no warranty", "where are you going to get air", etc. These good stores do well because they look after their own business, provide great service and great prices, and do not waste time trying to smear anyone else. :wink:

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Perhaps you called someone else by mistake.

Are you Divers Discount Florida in Fort Lauderdale Florida? That's who I called.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Sorry your had the bad experience. Perhaps you called someone else by mistake.

Beautiful...it must have been the other guy's fault. and I loved the used book analogy. Yep, used books sure are scary with all that disgusting sticky stuff...in fact, lets close down librarys before someone really gets hurt.

Jeesh!

There is a Divers Direct store in Ft. Lauderdale. :palmtree: Bob
www.diversdirect.com

That's crazy! So there's a Divers Direct and a Divers Direct Florida... in the same state? Are the related? If not... that's insane!

Back
Top Bottom