Does more advanced training include training in skills like "Drownproofing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are actually missing the point. without doing the whole "my dingalings bigger than your dingaling" thing you have been repeatedly asked the same question by several guys with hundreds -even thousands of hours diving.

I disagree I am missing the point. I asked a very simple question that only requires a yes or no answer. If they have thousands of hours of experience, then they should be able to easily answer the question. Yes or no...

You are suggesting that the skill should be included in training.

No, I haven't done that. I simply asked if it is or not. I don't know why it's such a difficult question...

Im sorry seeker I don't know what Open water course you attended but in mine I had to float for 10 minutes in my speedo's and had to swim for 200 yards in speedo's or 300 yards in a 3mm wetsuit.
The point there in my opinion is that if you can float for 10 minutes you CAN float almost indefinitely.

I did PADI open water and they tested me on those things of course. They didn't need to teach me though, I could already do all those things. No one ever taught me this particular technique in this video though, which is what I'm asking about. Although, I've never taken formal swimming lessons. I've been swimming since I was 5, I really didn't need them.

But it seems like some people are having a conniption over me asking a simple yes or no question. That doesn't make any sense to me... I guess some people just want something to argue about, LOL.

What boulderjohn said. Scenarios? Middle of Lake Superior, no boat, no flotation device. But as Jim L. says about swimming, it's a life skill. Ability to float by any means is something all that do any activity in or around deep or dangerous water (especially fresh) should be able to do.. Not specific to scuba, and can't think of a scenario short of the whole boat and everything on it sinking. I assumed we were just talking about the OW float test.

No, it is NOT a useful skill to have in any situation where a person might drown on the surface.

I disagree because simply having the skill does not mean you need to use it anywhere and everywhere...Obviously, if you are 50 yards offshore, you swim to the shore...obviously...And obviously you wouldn't do it if you are right next to the boat...obviously....

So seeker-why can't /Won't YOU answer the simple question being asked of you?
Can you give a scenario a scuba diver will need this skill?

I asked the same question about a scuba diver ever having to know how to swim--what scenario? I'm talking about proper swimming (a proper stroke) like swimmers do, not gutting out 200 yds./mtres. any old way on an OW course test. Bathing suit only (goggles allowed). No one's ever satisfied me with a real scenario, other than my example of everything sinking and you're alone miles from shore. People seem to get philosophical on both sides of this issue for some reason.

I asked the same question about a scuba diver ever having to know how to swim--what scenario? I'm talking about proper swimming (a proper stroke) like swimmers do, not gutting out 200 yds./mtres. any old way on an OW course test. Bathing suit only (goggles allowed). No one's ever satisfied me with a real scenario, other than my example of everything sinking and you're alone miles from shore. People seem to get philosophical on both sides of this issue for some reason.
I guess the difference is that it IS a required skill by certifying agencies.
The skill we are discussing may be a life skill but isn't a dive skill requirement.
Funny you should mention the swim skill because it came up in discussion after a beer or two last week.
Theres an easy answer. Its a matter of suptly testing a persons fitness and water worthiness.I can tell you that being able to swim 200m/yards requires more swim endurance than a lot of people are capable of.
I do think -based on recent personal experience that the word "swim" means different things to different people.
Being able to Swim to me meant -"able to move myself through the water" and Im pretty sure that's the expectation of certifying agencies.
it isn't until DM training I needed to learn to swim "properly"
Im pretty sure the point there is to establish that a divemaster has a sufficient level of fitness to do their job. Its unrealistic to use any other measure of fitness for a DM candidate.
But then Ive been wrong before --(Um sept 12 1987 to be precise)

Frosty, Right, drownproofing itself is not a required skill but floating by whatever method for 10 mins. is. If drownproofing is the only way you can do it, in reality it becomes a needed skill. Couldn't agree more about people having different definitions of what swimming is. PADI explains the reasonings behind the OW and DM in-water tests. These too can and have been debated.

Mostly because it's not relevant to my question. And I also did already answer it. But apparently people don't like my answer. Anyway!

So, I was browsing the internet and somehow came across this video. I said to myself "Hmm that's really interesting. I've never seen this particular technique before. I wonder if this technique is taught to scuba divers?" That's the whole thought process right there. That's it! Nothing more! I didn't realize it would be such a controversial question! LOL

There seems to be a verb missing, but other than that: in my swim class I was first taught to "bob", then float spread-eagle face down, then float face up. Then they started teaching us to move and glide while afloat. I strongly suspect the only kind of swimming you can teach without that is thrashing and flailing that keeps you at the surface and moving forward somewhat.

Edited, thanks. Learning to move and glide while afloat is obviously taught, it's still not the drownproofing technique.

Mostly because it's not relevant to my question. And I also did already answer it. But apparently people don't like my answer. Anyway!

So, I was browsing the internet and somehow came across this video. I said to myself "Hmm that's really interesting. I've never seen this particular technique before. I wonder if this technique is taught to scuba divers?" That's the whole thought process right there. That's it! Nothing more! I didn't realize it would be such a controversial question! LOL
OK I'll try one more time. Give ONE scenario where drown proofing would be required for a scuba diver. Not vague generalisations but an actual scenario. At no time have you done this

Back
Top Bottom