Does more advanced training include training in skills like "Drownproofing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'll next be in a pool in the New Year and will give that a real good try. Think I did try something like the starfish/full lungs before, but honestly not sure. Do you breathe with mostly full lungs continuously, or let the full breath out and take another?

This technique is more for teaching confidence in water activities. If you are going to be in the water you better be comfortable with it. Think of it as a profiling tool for an instructor to help identify people that will have a natural tendency to panic in stressful situations.

A scenario, entanglement that prevented you from taking your bcd with you on the way to the surface. Now you have to wait for a boat ride home.

Henry James

This technique is more for teaching confidence in water activities. If you are going to be in the water you better be comfortable with it. Think of it as a profiling tool for an instructor to help identify people that will have a natural tendency to panic in stressful situations.

A scenario, entanglement that prevented you from taking your bcd with you on the way to the surface. Now you have to wait for a boat ride home.

Henry James
You still have your fins on, making floating and swimming 10 times easier. And except in very warm water, an exposure suit which may float you like the Michelin Man. Assume weights are dropped. Fins and suit not allowed in float or swim tests.

...suit not allowed in float or swim tests.

As long as the buoyant effect is properly negated by weighting, they are allowed. No reason to have people being miserable by being cold.

Maybee another approach will work.
In another world that like a newly minted Private pilot or student pilot asking a group of commercial pilots and instructors if airobatics should be included in advanced training.

The question is not about an advanced SCUBA skill, but about basic water safety and swimming.
Your statement should replace acrobatics with, perhaps driving a car.

Bob

Hey TMheimer--off topic a tiny bit. 6 months ago I thought EXACTLY the same as you re my ability to float. I have the added excuse of a reasonable amount of metal in and around some bones so if I wasn't moving I sank.
Thanks in part to comments here on SB and to be honest my father and my best friend saying BULL #### I practiced.
Turns out I can float in fresh water (swimming pool) BUT I have to make like a starfish with my arms and have full lungs--so breath from the top of the lungs. My biggest obstacle was the whole full lungs thing.Empty lungs and I still sink.
It's strange how people's "floatiness" differs. I'm very slim but can float in almost sitting position in salt water (and in upright position if in shorty wetsuit) and effortlessly on my back in fresh water (including crossing my legs and arms or lifting them out of the water). Was the easiest bit to pass in OW course. Swimming 300m was a challenge for upper body strength though!

Maybee another approach will work.
In another world that like a newly minted Private pilot or student pilot asking a group of commercial pilots and instructors if airobatics should be included in advanced training.
The question is a legit question.

I agree it's a legit question if one is going to claim it should be taught. :) I did not intend to make any kind of claim. Although, if you are going to speak about "should" I think a more accurate analogy would be something like "Should skydiving and parachute packing techniques be included in advanced pilot training"?

Or something like that. :D

The question is not about an advanced SCUBA skill, but about basic water safety and swimming.
Your statement should replace acrobatics with, perhaps driving a car.

Bob

Perhaps the "title" of the Thread is causing confusion to some of us:
  • Does more advanced training include training in skills like "Drownproofing"

Perhaps the "title" of the Thread is causing confusion to some of us:
  • Does more advanced training include training in skills like "Drownproofing"
Actually I was refuting the analogy that I was quoting. In an earlier post I gave my thoughts on the original question.

There is no reason to have a basic water / swimming skill taught in an advanced SCUBA class, if it were taught it should be done in OW before SCUBA skills.

Bob

I would not be happy if I showed up for "more advanced" dive training and was instead presented with swimming lessons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom