Does PADI frown on BP/W over "regular" bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See, Mike, that is where I sit, really.

Half of me is agreeing with the others simply because it's just really draining to discuss things with touchy and easily rattled people like nick_w and I don't want to start any highschool drama.

Touchy and easily rattled? Really? What are you talking about? :confused:

And for the record, if you don't think a BP/W is more task loading, then YOU AGREE WITH ME!!! So, um, you wouldn't really be starting any "highschool drama" by saying so.

Either way, I'm a bit confused by your post here.

dkatchalov,

It's the cold up in this hemisphere that's doing it- people are indoors more, on the computer more and the mind begins to wander......

Now, what were we talking about? :icon5:

H.

Poor bugger...you are on the East coast...its beauty here in the west, we have been diving our asses off.:D

As far as my mind...I have the attention span of a squirrell...opss...degressing again...more cafe needed.:coffee:

Poor bugger...you are on the East coast...its beauty here in the west, we have been diving our asses off.:D

As far as my mind...I have the attention span of a squirrell...opss...degressing again...more cafe needed.:coffee:

Yeah, you seem to be about +5 degrees compared to us in NY. Time for the shorty! :eyebrow:
And I agree- more coffee!!! :lotsalove:

Touchy and easily rattled? Really? What are you talking about? :confused:

And for the record, if you don't think a BP/W is more task loading, then YOU AGREE WITH ME!!! So, um, you wouldn't really be starting any "highschool drama" by saying so.

Either way, I'm a bit confused by your post here.

Good of you to ask. Some people wouldn't. :)

I was getting the vibe from you, mostly from your extended vocabulary usage of words like "bull****" that you had some sort of beef and were getting wound up about something - even more puzzling if you agree is why you'd choose to address my comments like that.

Largely unimportant though - we agree, so that's fantastic.

Certainly PADI don't Frown on on it , but wings have a few limitations till you are used to them .1 on the surface they push you forward making the novice Fill like something starting with **.
2 the same can happen on the bottom . I learned to dive in a BCD and then bought a wing 8 years later I still have it . PADI will teach you to use whatever you have even a dry suit. I hav met a few divers in Ireland that used a dry suit and harness no compensator at all.

Certainly PADI don't Frown on on it , but wings have a few limitations till you are used to them .1 on the surface they push you forward making the novice Fill like something starting with **.

This is an example of the perpetuation of a 1/2 truth. If the diver is properly weighted, and is using a correctly adjusted harness, including a crotch strap, there will be no tendency to force the diver forward at the surface.

OTOH, an over weighted diver, lacking a crotch strap may suffer the problems you describe. In the case of a new student would this be the fault of the gear or instructor?

2 the same can happen on the bottom.

See above

Tobin

No one told me I cant or that PADI won't let me, they just didn't seem too fond of the idea....

There's a high correlation between BP/W advocacy and disdain for PADI. The BP/W arrangement is the choice of a philosophical camp that feels PADI's training is inadequate, and so it's natural for a PADI shop or instructor to be wary of someone who prefers a BP/W. Sort of like a UAW member's reaction to someone who prefers foreign cars.

Except for those of us PADI Instructors that dive BP/W???

There's a high correlation between BP/W advocacy and disdain for PADI. The BP/W arrangement is the choice of a philosophical camp that feels PADI's training is inadequate, and so it's natural for a PADI shop or instructor to be wary of someone who prefers a BP/W. Sort of like a UAW member's reaction to someone who prefers foreign cars.

I'm a PADI instructor and I dive with a BP/W and I don't have the perceptions described above.

C

Some stores are ok with your own gear and others are not. I had no issues using my own gear which includes a BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom