Dolphins are man's freind and we should protect them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
I assume you object to the use of guard dogs, drugs dogs, search and resue dogs as well then? No different to dolphin...Its an animal manipulated by humans.

Good point.
Yes, I do object the use for agression in any animal. I also object the bad-care for any animal of course. BUT about the use of dogs I find a slight difference, dogs are a species that is artificially selected and they would not survive in the wild without humans, they are one of the most domesticated animals in the planet, I see well trained, obedient and VERY happy dogs (house dogs, rescue dogs, police dogs) and I see sad dogs being kicked, forgotten etc etc. I particularly dont like training dogs for guardian purposes neither...
With dolphins is quite different. They belong to the sea. Maybe it is possible to have well trained, obedient, happy dolphins, (domesticated) but that would take hundreds of generations and my opinion is that it should not be done.

Particularly I found rescue dogs an amazing example of symbiosis.

And the use of chimps, apes and other animals for research lets say for medicine purposes.... that is very sad and it is another discussion in which I shouldnt get into.

What I object is the use of animals for war purposes. If humans want to get involved in war for money-oil-land-power do not involve animals in this.

Cheers

drdiver1952:
And how do you feel about chimpanzees, orangutans and gorillas?

Within ethical guidelines as far as medical research goes, absolutely fine by me.

Good point, Ethical is a word that should be present in any animal use related issue.

But for war? Are there ethics involved ¿?

Kim:
So......where do they get these dolphins from to start with? Do they catch them themselves or buy them from dealers?

Buy them from those that would round them up and kill them, for whatever reason. Catch them in the wild before the bad people get a chance to kill them. Any of that OK to you? Seems like it could work.

I wonder what would happen if human beings minded the slaughter if innocent baby human beings as much as they minded the use of animals in research.

:popcorn:

This thread just won't die. It's got the potential to grow to MOF/MNOF or "I wanna watch a tank blow up" proportions.

Folks, humans may be biologically similar but we're not animals. Questions? Refer to Genesis, first chapter. We been assigned responsibility for stewardship of this planet and it's inhabitants. But animals are here for us and not the other way around. The abuse is a human creation.

I have a hard time accepting CNN as an authority on anything. If they "represent a cross-section of America" as previously stated, wouldn't that more closely describe an elected representative than a poll? Whatever happened to simply reporting the news instead of creating or defining it?

I want Walter Cronkite back.

cavernicola:
What I object is the use of animals for war purposes. If humans want to get involved in war for money-oil-land-power do not involve animals in this.
Alright... I'll take the bait that you put out twice... but I thought the last Gulf War was the money-oil-land-power war?... Peacenics like yourself have dubbed this one the 'Lying about WMDs' war... I think it's time you go back to your 'Liberal Whiners Excuses Handbook' and hop back on the party line.

I think it would be more truthful if you said you would rather see an American Serviceman dead, instead of using the best tool for the job. But if saying it your way makes you feel better about yourself, I understand.

pilot fish:
Buy them from those that would round them up and kill them, for whatever reason. Catch them in the wild before the bad people get a chance to kill them. Any of that OK to you? Seems like it could work.
Pilot Fish... are you letting your kids use your computer again:huh: I've seen you cause better arguments than this.

bvmjethead:
I wonder what would happen if human beings minded the slaughter if innocent baby human beings as much as they minded the use of animals in research.

:popcorn:
So you want to start an abortion/fetal stem cell research thread?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom