Don’t Flame Your Mask! (per Undercurrent.org / May 2018 Issue)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why flame it? I've had several new masks over the years and have always used the toothpaste technique with completely acceptable results. I have never used commercial mask prep products, I would imagine that they work fine.

I have flamed all 4 of my masks with no troubles whatsoever. Of course manufacturers are going to point the finger at someone or something else. I call ********. Flame away

Does ANY brand or manufacturer of dive masks endorse the application of 'flame' ?

Remove silicone coating with toothpaste didn’t take the fogging away from my 1st mask. It took me 100 dives (2 years) with baby shampooing before each dive to a point when the fogging stopped. I had good 6 years of no fogging mask since then. Lost the mask 5 years ago.

On my 2nd mask, LDS flamed the silicone coating off right after I bought it. I had no fogging problem on its first dive. I bought 3rd mask as a backup mask & flamed it myself.

I’ve been a happy diver without fogging mask ever since & firm believer of flaming method being better & quicker to condition the tempered glass lens of the mask than the toothpaste method.

You only need to flame it once by scanning the flame quickly over the lens once the silicone burns off from clear to opaque to clear as shown by the video posted above by @MAKO Spearguns Keep the flame away from the black silicone skirt at the edge of the lens.

Never heard about shattering the tempered glass mask lens until this thread. I wonder if the flaming on that mask was be too intense or too long or repeated too many times?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom