Double Check my Buoyancy Calcs for BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnStrr

Reaction score
Hate to be another newbie do this to you guys , but before I order my first BP I'd like some second opinions.

I went to the pool today and did some baseline buoyancy work. (This is freshwater calcs, I assume I'd just add some weight in salt)

Here's what I came up with:

My residual: +5 lbs.

3mm Wetsuit: +5 lbs.
(with wetsuit, full breath, and 10# on weightbelt I was neutral about 10 ft down)

Al 80 at 500 psi: +4.5 lbs.
(I'll be diving single tanks in tropics, hopefully Belize, for the foreseeable future)

FredT Light STA: -2 lbs.

Harness and parts: -1.5 lbs.

Misc. (lights, etc.): -3 lbs.

-----------------
8 lbs. positive

BACKPLATE: FredT XLong 11 guage SS: -7 lbs.

XLong 1/8" Al: -2lbs.

(I'm 6'3 BTW so I figured the XL would fit better, anyone have it?)

So, here's the kicker, SS or AL.

------SS puts 1 lb or none on weight belt

------Al puts 6 or so. (all to be tweaked later of course)

I am in good shape, 23 years old, and getting to the top with at most 20 lbs (I added a few for full tank or possbly steel once I move and am settled) doesn't seem like a problem, but I've never done it before in this manner so I really can't say.

Any advise from the gurus out there. Did I forget anything, make a mockery out of basic math, etc.. If I don't at LEAST order the backplate in the next week I'll end up spending this period's paycheck on useless crap like food, my girlfriend, or something boring.

Thanx guys, I look forward to any advice.

I'd get the AL backplate. that way you'll have some ditchable weight, especially if you go to steel tanks later.
\

What wing did you decide on?

Since I don't have enough $$$$ to get both right now anyway, I'm waiting for the Koplin/OxyCheq single to come out (probably the 30#ish for now) or I might go with the H Pioneer 27#. Once the Oxy singles come out and some testers report on the board I'll be more inclined to buy. I'm really anticipating the personal, unbiased reviews of the LP inflator, bladder design, etc. I'm pretty hard on stuff, and quite a perfectionist so this is hard for me :wink: . This site has saved my life for sure :D :D , and my pocketbook.

A BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO EVERONE WHO PUTS UP WITH THE SAME QUESTIONS EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yea:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom