Doubles recommendations for a small framed women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife has a similar build to yours and she is currently diving doubled up LP66s. She likes them because they are not as massive as some of the combinations she has used. For her deeper ocean dives they provide plenty of gas for her including getting two shallower shore dives.

As you can see lots of suggestions - but given that you are in with a group of divers try as many as you can and see what you like before you buy anything.

Caveat: I AM NOT DIR nor is my wife, the Yellow Angel Fish.

But my wife loves the HP 80's

the K

LP85's are great little tanks. I've got several sets and have standardized on them for most of my diving. Also have a set of HP100's as well. It's easier (and faster) to get decent fills on the LP85's. The overall size compared to the HP100's is roughly the same though the HP100's are heavier for the same fill.

I don't like LP95's as much as the LP85's as they are bulkier and overall it doesn't get me that much benefit. I've also tried double AL80's as well as recently a set of double HP120's. :shocked2:

As Allison says though try a variety of doubles to see what works best for you.

Definitely try out a set of LP85's with a proper... ahem... 3500 psi fill :blinking:

I would look at something in the range of LP85s to HP100s. Those tanks will give you a very reasonable range, from 2 medium-length recreational dives to 1 really long recreational dive, to pretty much anything in the T1 range.

{snip}

Faber LP85s seem to be very popular with the ladies around here, though all of the ones I can think of are probably a bit taller than you. So a shorter tank (like the HP100s you tried) might work fine for you. I think Don has a set of Faber 85s too, so maybe you could give those a try and see how they compare to the 100s (they aren't going to make a difference getting in/out of the water, it is more of a trim/stability in the water thing).

Allison

I don't see the connection. I highly doubt you have come even close to exhausting the local diving available in single tanks (e.g. on boats)

I, too, do not understand the OP's comment. :shocked2:

Just because you are "technical" at something, does this mean you automatically get bored after a set amount of time?

Unfortunately this is how many "tech divers" burn out from diving....they think they've been there and done that, now time to move on to another sport...:popcorn:

Kathy, there's some gorgeous diving in Monterey that's deep enough that I'd feel more comfortable in doubles, although I do those dives on a single 130 when that's what I have. So I understand the desire for some redundancy, and would tell you to ignore the naysayers. BUT you won't enjoy beach entries from some of the sites in doubles!

I dive LP85s or HP100s. For me, they trim out very similarly. A lot depends on what kinds of fills you get in the 85s. I really like Al80s in warm water, but you have to tail weight them. LP72s I can't trim out, no matter what I do with them. I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs -- none of the tanks I've listed are impossible for me to carry, and I have dived LP95s in Florida, although I don't like them. But as already said, there is NO reason to load yourself up with the biggest tanks you can schlep, unless you need them for the dives you are doing. I can get two GOOD dives out of my 85s with a mild overfill.

Greetings Kathydee and you pose a great question. I have been exploring and researching the same issue for my wife and children. I have come to the conclusion that LP 85's are really the best choice for me. They will make great single tanks for them and great side mount tanks for me. Win! Win! I already have HP 100's and LP 95's doubled up so I have plenty of options. I have also dove HP119's and LP 108's they were great in the water and heavy out of it. That really is the determining factor of just what size is right for you. I agree trying as many as possible for I found it possible to dive a lot of different sizes but easier to trim and handle a few particular sizes. Not to mention that it is easier to get good fills with LP tanks, at least in my area. I wish you well and safe diving to you. I like to keep raising the bar for my personal dive goals as well. Diving is different for everyone and that is what makes it great. Just because one person likes to enjoy one area of diving does not make it wrong for someone else. Whether Rec or Tech, boat or shore, warm or cold it is all good. The main thing is to ENJOY IT safely and always be the best diver you can. Have a blast and dive like there is no tomorrow.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Kathy, there's some gorgeous diving in Monterey that's deep enough that I'd feel more comfortable in doubles, although I do those dives on a single 130 when that's what I have. So I understand the desire for some redundancy, and would tell you to ignore the naysayers.

Lynne, I don't think that anyone's disputing the fact that there are lots of recreational sites in Monterey where having doubles is useful (I've certainly done more recreational dives in doubles than in singles in Monterey, although many did not require doubles). But if someone wants to start diving doubles because they think their current diving is somehow lacking, they should have an idea of how moving to doubles is going to improve the situation. There is a learning curve. It sounds like Kathy recently got over the hump with her drysuit, so if I were her, I'd be out doing all the diving I can do in my current gear configuration (that I am comfortable in), and once that becomes constraining in the dives I can do, then I'd move to doubles. If you keep adding more gear, you will constantly be on that sucky part of the learning curve where you don't feel totally comfortable/confident.

Assuming that Kathy has a decent SCR (which I am sure she does, since she is small and fit), there is A LOT of diving that can be done on a single tank at Point Lobos. And that's before you even get on a boat.

Al, that's very true, and after I wrote my post, I started thinking about the recent Essentials class that Kathy took. One thing I remain adamant about is that it is FAR better to solve any buoyancy and trim issues in a single tank, before moving to doubles. I see way too many people who go to doubles and never get their trim right. And buoyancy control in doubles is cheating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom